Inaba Shidare possible leaf burn??

gootzagootza Posts: 17
edited 28 November in Problem solving
Hi everyone! Could anybody please advise if my maple just has leaf burn or if there is a bigger problem happening? 

The maple was originally in a pot in full sun on the South East side of my property. Never had a problem with leaf burn. We transplanted it at the very start of Spring to a raised garden bed on the West side of our property (full sun). I live in Victoria, Australia, where it can get very hot. I chose this species as they apparently do well in the hot sun here in Australia.  

Here are some pictures:

Are there too many roots exposed at the bottom? Could that also be a cause? 

Thanks everyone! 🙌🏻

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    Hi @gootza - the roots are certainly quite exposed there, which won't help the general condition of it. You can build up a bit of soil round them to give them more protection.

The most likely reason for the leaf condition is lack of water, especially at crucial times - ie when foliage is developing. If you can rectify that, and then apply another good mulch of bark, that will help.
    They enjoy plenty of water and some shade, so the hot sun will always frazzle them a bit. Hot, drying winds will also affect them. If they have enough moisture, it helps them cope with that better.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I think it gets plenty of sun (even a handful of 90+ days), but I am very much a noob regarding maples. It faces the southern sky and is not shaded much. As a matter of fact some of the foliage scorched.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 744
    Maples don't like high winds, ours never look good, we are in a windy area, and even though moved doesn't do well.