Forum home Garden design

Opinions on pergola colour please

• TinyGardenGIrlTinyGardenGIrl Posts: 169
    edited November 2019
    I'm not sure what went wrong with the clematis . It romped away and then went completely brown . I figured I'm just not very good with them and it might be simpler to just stick maybe rose veilchenbleu in instead , which is a rambler. I can't think of any other well known  rose candidates with a purplish tone though.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,574
    @TinyGardenGIrl, @Marlorena may be able to give you some ideas. I have tagged her in to see what she says  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,611
    Perhaps your clem was too dry in it's position @TinyGardenGIrl
    I'd agree that if you're having a red rose - reddish purple colours will work with it, while anything too blue will tend to jar.

All my woodwork is black, although the central part of my screen is a soft,mossy green. Black shows off greenery and flower colours well. The green part gets a quick wheech over with a paintbrush every year. It takes ten minutes. I think it's worth considering a toning colour for the screen part as it's a lovely feature when plants become dormant. Perhaps a mid grey?

I'd have told Aunty to mind her own business as it's not her garden ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I like the black too,but would add a Clemmie as @hogweed has suggested.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,752
    @Fairygirl you can't beat a quick wheech over with a paint brush
    Devon.
  • Leave it like this, it looks a lot more integrated with the rest of the surroundings.
    I can wheech a paintbrush with the best of them @Hostafan1 :D

I think if @TinyGardenGIrl is struggling with the clematis she has, it's best to avoid another one until discovering the reasons for it failing, and the reasons could be varied.

There are plenty which like drier conditions, so if lack of moisture is the problem, one of those would be more suitable.  :)

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,759
    ...for a purple rambler I would always choose 'Purple Skyliner' over 'Veilchenblau' these days.... the flowers are larger, a better mix of colours I think, and blooms into autumn.. it's also less rampant... however it does have thorns..

• Marlorena said:
    ...for a purple rambler I would always choose 'Purple Skyliner' over 'Veilchenblau' these days.... the flowers are larger, a better mix of colours I think, and blooms into autumn.. it's also less rampant... however it does have thorns..

That is a lovely rose, but it doesn't seem to get very big. Do you have any experience  of it getting bigger than 2 metres @marlorena?
    I think I will paint that infill. ... I think I need to sand it as it has a very smooth finish. Then try my leftover black cuprinol water based paint from last year. Please let me know if I'm making any mistakes here as I don't know much about paint. 
    Thanks 
    edited November 2019
    If it's already got a 'finish' of some kind on it, you can give it a light sand - wire wool might be easier to use than sandpaper -  but if it's just been painted with a standard, water based outdoor paint, it won't really need it, and you can paint over it. 
    If you're unsure- just do a little trial area first to see if it takes  :)