Opinions on pergola colour please

I've had an aunt put doubt in my mind as to whether I painted this pergola the correct colour. I'm now thinking I should paint it entirely white. It took an entire day last time. What do you all think? Paint it white or leave it? It is going to have red and pale pink roses up it.  The clematis is no longer there.
I really can't decide so I would value your opinions please.
 I am just in so much doubt about this entire project . When I got it erected my OH said I was cluttering the garden and I should keep to a 'less is more ' approach. But I love plants and needed space for more roses away from the big tree .
It was previously just lawn.
 Anyway here it is. Should I leave it or paint it white?

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 836
    I like the almost black colour. I’d keep it and might be tempted to paint that infill grill the same colour. I would not choose white because fairly soon it will get lichen on the shaded side and then look grubby. Also white is more visually intrusive and I would want the pergola to be secondary to the planting. 

I hope you don’t mind a further honest opinion, and remember that is all it is - an opinion to be readily dismissed. I do not think pink and red roses harmonise well. Nor am I enamoured by those two jarring lanterns and would take a step back and consider what the stones at the base of the (very nice) pergola are adding to the setting.
  • TinyGardenGIrlTinyGardenGIrl Posts: 169
    edited 28 November
    I really appreciate your reply and input , thank you .

You are right about the lanterns, they were 50p from somewhere and I've decided they need to go as I don't use them at night as planned. And yes the stones don't really look good, so I have decided to throw them somewhere at the back of the garden and just edge the lawn off nicely. I just have lots of these huge stones in the soil for some reason.

The red rose was shoved in (unplanned) on a whim as it was suffering elsewhere and needed a new home but it's taken my heart due to the scent now. I've also ordered The Generous Gardener as I  got sucked in by the David Austin discount . That should replace the red eventually because I was worried about red with pink ( I  normally put in the colours in an image search to see how it looks) I've read that The generous Gardener is a slow starter though .
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,674
    I absolutely agree with @BenCotto ... the almost black is perfect as it will recede visually and the roses will be the stars of the show.  I also agree with his other points. 

Also anything painted white will need repainting every year, so unless your aunt is offering to visit with a stepladder and painting overalls every year  ... ? 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,586
    I like the dark colour of the pergola better too, less in your face than white and would set off your pink roses beautifully.

I think if you mix pink with pinky red roses that’s fine, as they are the same colour, just a different intensity. Pink with bright red/orangy red can clash a bit, but it’s entirely up to you, your house/pergola/roses!
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,532
    I think it looks beautiful black 🖤
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,955
    I agree (as someone with a black pergola !). I would also be inclined to paint the infill panel black.
     :) 
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,538
    Black with the red roses would give a lovely Chinese lacquered look.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,205
    Black for me too.  White is too stark and, as has been said earlier, gets grubby very quickly.

As for Generous Gardener, I planted one in my last garden and it wasn't slow at all.   The soil was deep, fertile, alkaline loam and GG romped away.  I trained all new stems as horizontally or diagonally as possible and there were always plenty of flowering shoots that came up from those.   Gorgeous.  The pink is a bit peachy and very soft so may look good with your existing red rose.  Good perfume too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks for all of your replies , I have decided to replace the red climber with my GG which arrived today. I'm dropping the children to their aunts for an afternoon of digging this week and I am secretly looking forward to it. 
    Interesting to read that white doesn't last very well. The last thing I want to do is repaint it annually. 
    I'm glad I can stop wondering about it now, the black will definitely stay !
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949
    Ditto with all the above but I would add a clematis or two back in. If the red rose is def going, I would add a bluey dark pink clematis and a purple one. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller