Forum home Plants

Coleus

13»

• AstroAstro Posts: 222
    I've got some on the go myself at the moment, bought a packet of seeds from Wilko's and have been growing them since spring. I intend to put shelving on a bit of East facing wall and use coleus to add some colour when the weather warms. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,705
    I also used to grow celosia and sell them on, I've not grown them in many years, maybe I'll have a go again next year

@astro remember to remove any flower spikes that start appear on your coleus as once the flower, they die.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 222
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for the tip @Pete.8 🙂 The ones I grew this didn't reach the point of flowering. I had them indoors and they looked great ,then I decided to use them to fill a spot in the garden and the slugs/snails made short work of them. Hopefully I can protect them better up a height.

Seems they hold a lot of nostalgia for people, and are connected to many of their childhoods.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,705
    I don't plant them in the garden for that reason - the slugs and snails devour them in no time. I grow them in pots with 3 or 5 plants to a pot and put a few slug pellets around them.
    The flower spikes start to appear in summer and I remove them, but as the season progresses the number of flower spikes increases dramatically and by autumn I let nature take its course as they're generally looking a bit tatty by then. Cuttings are so easy, just snap a bit off and pop it in a glass of water during the summer months and roots appear in no time.

As you say they do prompt memories and I can remember one neighbour asking me if my father knew I was selling plants door-to-door - I said yes, it was his idea! I was only 5 or 6 years old
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.