Attracting garden birds

JohnnypJohnnyp MorayshirePosts: 25
Hi folks
After a recent removal of a neighbour's hedge between our two properties there has been  significantly less birds visiting my garden feeders ,the hedge was obviously great cover and protection for them but any suggestions as to the best way of attracting them back ? Thanks .

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,205
    Plant some shrubs?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,347
    2 things spring to mind. 
    1: hang up some bird feeders, and 
    2: don't have a cat.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    They'll return once they feel safe again @Johnnyp, so don't worry too much.
    You can always help by planting a couple of shrubs, or similar, for the future, and some low growing planting. 

Is there going to be  new boundary put in place though? Even if it's a fence, you can add climbers etc, as long as you agree it with the neighbour if they pay to put the fence in. That will give cover for birds.
    If not, you could possibly make a simple screen of trellis and add climbers, with a few other shrubs and areas of ground cover alongside them.  Two pieces forming a 'corner' would be fine.  It would depend how your garden is laid out, of course. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JohnnypJohnnyp MorayshirePosts: 25
    Many thanks all , have had the bird feeders up for years but was just suprised how many birds stopped visiting when the hedge was removed, not many cats around but noticed a sparrow hawk sitting on the fence today ( first for a few months) so that made the small birds scatter big time , shall keep putting out the nuts etc 😊😊😊😊
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,674
    The birds will feel safer if they have thick spikey shrubs (like Berberis) bear to the feeders, to shelter in and flee to in case of cat or hawk attack. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh