Environmental impact of the meat industry

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,639
    Beautifully summarised @raisingirl.
    It is not about giving up, it is about moderating.
    If land is only suitable for pasture, then that is what it should be used for.
    BUT, something has to be done.
    Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • The BBC bias is quite blatant though, I was watching the programme with an open mind the presenter wasn't doing the same.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,721
    The BBC bias is quite blatant though, I was watching the programme with an open mind the presenter wasn't doing the same.
    I've heard about the same number of people say the BBC is biased against the tories as I have  heard say it's biased against labour.
    I suppose it depends upon the perspective of the viewer. 
    Devon.
  • I was talking about the meat programme.
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 364
    The point I was trying to get across earlier (again clumsily) is whether food production is the main issue. As everyone knows, CO2 is produced across the sectors (https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/global-greenhouse-gas-emissions-data). Unless food is wasted, OR we're overeating, then changing what we eat seems to me to be a disrupting option. I totally agree on cutting down what we eat (especially in the West where obesity is rife - https://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/overweight/en/) - where we eat for gluttony's sake. That's across all food types.
    BUT the west manufactures to throw away. Now surely, that is where to start. Constantly producing 'stuff' to bin it a day, a month, a week...blah later is just consumerist nonsense. But we all do it. So an instant impact could be achieved by cutting down on what we buy - and at the same time, given that 99% of everything appears to be plastic, it starts to address that issue too. But all things have an impact - and the capitalist system is based on people buying, so obviously reducing what we buy has a direct affect on industry...jobs, economies, political attitudes...
    Watch this Christmas - see how much stuff is bought and then binned. I'm not religious or a Christian, but didn't JC say  something like 'Give up your wordly goods and follow me'? Christmas epitomises the problem doesn't it? Overeating, over buying of stuff - and I'm just off down the SM to join in the murmuration.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 312
    Hostafan1 said:
    Get the vegans to do the grazing @Fairygirl 😂 they'll feel even more self righteous as they tuck in some dandelions. That said, nicely steamed with a vinaigrette they are delicious.
    Steamed vegans, now there's a thought. 
    JOKING , HONEST
    I met a vegan once... I only know because he told me he was...
  •  steveTu said:

BUT the west manufactures to throw away. Now surely, that is where to start. Constantly producing 'stuff' to bin it a day, a month, a week...blah later is just consumerist nonsense. But we all do it. .
    Watch this Christmas - see how much stuff is bought and then binned. 

I agree with some of what you say but I really think you need to be more specific and stop generalising...........we DON'T all do it..............just as we don't all have myriad electronic devices, huge TV's, a mobile device in every room in the house ...........if you or the people around you are consumerists just for the sake of it and are happy to spend money  and then, for want of a better expression, flush it down the drain, you and they need to start thinking rationally.  I would point out that others should not be tarred with the same brush.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,271
    Surely spending is important,  there would be a lot of people on the dole queue if people didn’t spend. 
    I can’t  understand why people have to spend so much, how do people have waste food, we never have a scrap of food wasted,  but can understand that’s there’s a lot of money around and if people want to spend it on rubbish, or throw away food, it’s up to them, I’m sure we all benefit from this. 

As mentioned before, the towns folk have no idea how farming works.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Rik56 said:
    I met a vegan once... I only know because he told me he was...
    Haha they always do don’t they 😂