Environmental impact of the meat industry

• steveTu said:

What we don't need is for governments to jump on a politically popular bandwagon, just to find in 20...30...40 years different problems surface.

But that is exactly what they do.........we all know from experience that hindsight is a wonderful thing.........foresight might be even handier these days ;)

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,336
    Problem is, if we wait 40 years, it will be too late to do anything.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • The future is insect based protein scientists can make it taste like meat, yum yum!
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 157
    I didn't watch this documentary but environmental issues (at least to me) seem to create more questions than answers.
    For example - the global population is roughly rising by about 80million year on year. Ok thats countered by the death rate and by the number of offspring produced by any given individual but generally speaking the number of people on the planet is exponentially getting bigger. Therefore does it not stack up that if we reduce meat consumption that non-meat food production must increase exponentially also?
    And, are the resourses and associated industries that go to make meat and fish merely switched to crop production? Some crops might possibly require more resources than livestock rearing?
    Somebody mentioned soil degredation - how do we keep the soil healthy whilst increasing crop yield?
    Transport isn't reduced, storage of crops or vegatable products might become a logistical issue, some crops will only grow in certain conditions and what do we grow?-- alot of crops really aren't necessary, grapes for example.
    There is also the thought that certain people can't actually sustain themselves with meat or the meat industry (or fish) - whole races could be threatenend.

Vexing, no?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,829
    The future is insect based protein scientists can make it taste like meat, yum yum!
    surely insects are technically meat?
    Devon.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 959
    punkdoc said:
    Problem is, if we wait 40 years, it will be too late to do anything.
    It's ok because we'll (hopefully) all be dead.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 959
    Hostafan1 said:
    The future is insect based protein scientists can make it taste like meat, yum yum!
    surely insects are technically meat?
    No, because we eat the entire insect. Meat is muscle, doesn't include bones and tendons.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,530
    Interesting that all the onus mentioned here is on anyone else but not us

America
    China
    India
    Russia
    Brazil
    Beige people with children

The problem is that with throwing hands up at "over population" these howls effectively shift required action across the continents and decades. There is no faster way to dismiss ones own responsibility (personal, societal, communal, national). 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,336
    I think we have a duty to the planet which extends beyond the limit of our own life span.
    We are the planets guardians, and supposedly its most intelligent residents. Our responsibility extends to all the other creatures living on it.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,932
    No animals, no dung spreading, we will have artificial fertilisers. 
    This Earth will be a dried up barren land in the future, reminds me of the old Planet of the Apes films.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.