Environmental impact of the meat industry

• HexagonHexagon Posts: 959
    Hostafan1 said:
    Hexagon said:
    DA doesn't seem very preachy to me.
    not "preachy" but he certainly is an A list celeb and he certainly got his message across. 
    @Shrinking Violet has quoted the qualifications of liz Bonin, I think DA is also an educated fellow.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,336
    I am a little surprised at the somewhat selfish attitudes of some on this thread.
    As I have said, I am a true carnivore, but the evidence is clear we cannot eat beef and lamb in the same quantities that I used to.
    We all need to do our bit to save the planet. We are it's guardians and have a moral responsibility to help.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • Anthropogenic CO2 has produced about four times as much warming effect as anthropogenic methane. And only a small fraction of the methane comes from cattle and other animals. So farming animals is almost insignificant compared to fossil fuel burning and other sources of greenhouse gases.

https://www.globalmethane.org/documents/gmi-mitigation-factsheet.pdf
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,456
    KT53 said:
      If meat consumption ceased there would clearly be a massive increase in crops required, 
    Not at all.  As was explained in the programme, we grow huge amounts of crops for animal feed.  We could feed far more people with the same amount of land, water and labour, if we grew crops that can be fed directly to humans.  
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,151
    So you are sentencing me to high cholesterol and flatulence then @Hexagon 🤣
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,932
    Perhaps we should ship this thread over to America, have you seen the amount of beef they eat, huge steaks and burgers 😱
    There’s  a lot of land that would be impossible to grow crops for humans to eat that will only grow cattle feed. 
    If we give up eating meat, we must surely give up eating chocolate and cakes, made from palm oil.
    I wouldn’t like to see cows and sheep extinct.
    Cornwall would become completely reliant on tourist trade, there would have to be houses and holiday complexes built on every bit of it, all the dairy farms converting to tourist trade. 

By 2050 they’re predicting 50 billion mouths to feed, perhaps by then we can shift off up to another world.  That’s a lot of people on this small planet.

I suppose if we all cut out eating meat we could take an airplane to some far off place just for a day’s business meeting, stag night or lunch,  with a clear conscience.

Besides all that, I hate soya milk, and those meat substitute are horrible as well..🤢🤮

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I was surprised how they kept cattle in the USA but that's why steak is so cheap out there, at least cattle are in the green fields for a good part of the year here.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965
    We are going to have to accept eating less meat, less often. Like we used to do.

There will still be some meat production, but it has to be sustainable overall... currently what we are doing isn't.
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 277
    I'm note sure about the move to plant based diets. As with all solutions, the solution itself has an impact. I heard in a radio discussion on this subject that the soil has its own 'life' - which as gardeners you all know. The intensive forms of agriculture can and do lead to soil depletion - google 'depletion of soil quality' and then look at the scholarly articles. What the overall impact would be for 7+billion people to move to plant based really, really needs to be looked at and assessed. What we don't need is for governments to jump on a politically popular bandwagon, just to find in 20...30...40 years different problems surface.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)