Forum home The potting shed

Environmental impact of the meat industry

• I was surprised how they kept cattle in the USA but that's why steak is so cheap out there, at least cattle are in the green fields for a good part of the year here.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,485
    We are going to have to accept eating less meat, less often. Like we used to do.

There will still be some meat production, but it has to be sustainable overall... currently what we are doing isn't.
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 456
    I'm note sure about the move to plant based diets. As with all solutions, the solution itself has an impact. I heard in a radio discussion on this subject that the soil has its own 'life' - which as gardeners you all know. The intensive forms of agriculture can and do lead to soil depletion - google 'depletion of soil quality' and then look at the scholarly articles. What the overall impact would be for 7+billion people to move to plant based really, really needs to be looked at and assessed. What we don't need is for governments to jump on a politically popular bandwagon, just to find in 20...30...40 years different problems surface.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • steveTu said:

What we don't need is for governments to jump on a politically popular bandwagon, just to find in 20...30...40 years different problems surface.

But that is exactly what they do.........we all know from experience that hindsight is a wonderful thing.........foresight might be even handier these days ;)

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,077
    Problem is, if we wait 40 years, it will be too late to do anything.
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • The future is insect based protein scientists can make it taste like meat, yum yum!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,283
    The future is insect based protein scientists can make it taste like meat, yum yum!
    surely insects are technically meat?
    Devon.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,443
    Interesting that all the onus mentioned here is on anyone else but not us

America
    China
    India
    Russia
    Brazil
    Beige people with children

The problem is that with throwing hands up at "over population" these howls effectively shift required action across the continents and decades. There is no faster way to dismiss ones own responsibility (personal, societal, communal, national). 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,077
    I think we have a duty to the planet which extends beyond the limit of our own life span.
    We are the planets guardians, and supposedly its most intelligent residents. Our responsibility extends to all the other creatures living on it.
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,946
    No animals, no dung spreading, we will have artificial fertilisers. 
    This Earth will be a dried up barren land in the future, reminds me of the old Planet of the Apes films.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.