Forum home The potting shed

Environmental impact of the meat industry

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Hexagon said:
    DA doesn't seem very preachy to me.
    not "preachy" but he certainly is an A list celeb and he certainly got his message across. 
    Devon.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,182
    What do I eat as I have nut allergies and am dairy intolerant, dont eat pulses or lentils ( gastric problem) if I didn't eat some meat it would be a VERY boring diet. 
  • Whilst it is true that Liz Bonnin has had a high profile on TV, she is a respected science-orientated journalist:  BA in biochemistry and a Masters in wild animal biology.  She didn't preach during the programme.  She simply presented the world as it has become with the increasing demand for meat, and questioned the sustainability of that in the long term.  As I said at the outset, her presentation was nuanced, there were no quick fixes, and there was much to think about.
    At least I watched the programme.  My comments were informed by what I had seen and, insofar as I was able, understood.  I would recommend its being watched in BBC iPlayer.  It makes one think .  .  .  .  but it doesn't provide simple or simplistic solutions.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253
    The bottom line folks is that there are just too many human beings for this planet to cope with. We have become too efficient and ruthless in plundering resources while giving very belated thought to any long term future. But then that's human nature. We can condemn Brazil for felling the amazon rain forest but they are only doing what us Europeans have been doing for a very long time, the UK being one of the most nature depleted countries in the world. So the word hypocrite comes across very clearly as I watched the programme.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,484
    I am a little surprised at the somewhat selfish attitudes of some on this thread.
    As I have said, I am a true carnivore, but the evidence is clear we cannot eat beef and lamb in the same quantities that I used to.
    We all need to do our bit to save the planet. We are it's guardians and have a moral responsibility to help.
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • Anthropogenic CO2 has produced about four times as much warming effect as anthropogenic methane. And only a small fraction of the methane comes from cattle and other animals. So farming animals is almost insignificant compared to fossil fuel burning and other sources of greenhouse gases.

https://www.globalmethane.org/documents/gmi-mitigation-factsheet.pdf
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,387
    KT53 said:
      If meat consumption ceased there would clearly be a massive increase in crops required, 
    Not at all.  As was explained in the programme, we grow huge amounts of crops for animal feed.  We could feed far more people with the same amount of land, water and labour, if we grew crops that can be fed directly to humans.  
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,182
    So you are sentencing me to high cholesterol and flatulence then @Hexagon 🤣
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,496
    Perhaps we should ship this thread over to America, have you seen the amount of beef they eat, huge steaks and burgers 😱
    There’s  a lot of land that would be impossible to grow crops for humans to eat that will only grow cattle feed. 
    If we give up eating meat, we must surely give up eating chocolate and cakes, made from palm oil.
    I wouldn’t like to see cows and sheep extinct.
    Cornwall would become completely reliant on tourist trade, there would have to be houses and holiday complexes built on every bit of it, all the dairy farms converting to tourist trade. 

By 2050 they’re predicting 50 billion mouths to feed, perhaps by then we can shift off up to another world.  That’s a lot of people on this small planet.

I suppose if we all cut out eating meat we could take an airplane to some far off place just for a day’s business meeting, stag night or lunch,  with a clear conscience.

Besides all that, I hate soya milk, and those meat substitute are horrible as well..🤢🤮

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.