Environmental impact of the meat industry

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,714
    For example, reduction in methane from cattle can be brought about by feeding them a seaweed supplement.  The long-term effects of harvesting the seaweed have yet to be evaluated.

I think it was also on Countryfile that they had a piece with a farmer who creates his own biochar and feeds that to his cattle.  That apparently has also greatly reduced the amount of methane they produce.  The added bonus being that the biochar passes through pretty much intact after doing it's internal job and still adds nutrient to the fields.

I'm just sick of people getting on their soap boxes and preaching at us.  Yes change is needed but it's far more likely to be achieved if the hearts and minds are won over by reasoned argument, not by some kid or celeb telling us what to do whilst doing something totally different themselves.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 959
    KT53 said:

I'm just sick of people getting on their soap boxes and preaching at us.
    Absolutely this.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,824
    Hexagon said:
    KT53 said:

I'm just sick of people getting on their soap boxes and preaching at us.
    Absolutely this.
    Apart from David Attenborough's Blue Planet moment which seems to have had a huge effect on plastic waste.
    Devon.
    DA doesn't seem very preachy to me.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,824
    Hexagon said:
    DA doesn't seem very preachy to me.
    not "preachy" but he certainly is an A list celeb and he certainly got his message across. 
    Devon.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,151
    What do I eat as I have nut allergies and am dairy intolerant, dont eat pulses or lentils ( gastric problem) if I didn't eat some meat it would be a VERY boring diet. 
  • Whilst it is true that Liz Bonnin has had a high profile on TV, she is a respected science-orientated journalist:  BA in biochemistry and a Masters in wild animal biology.  She didn't preach during the programme.  She simply presented the world as it has become with the increasing demand for meat, and questioned the sustainability of that in the long term.  As I said at the outset, her presentation was nuanced, there were no quick fixes, and there was much to think about.
    At least I watched the programme.  My comments were informed by what I had seen and, insofar as I was able, understood.  I would recommend its being watched in BBC iPlayer.  It makes one think .  .  .  .  but it doesn't provide simple or simplistic solutions.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,231
    The bottom line folks is that there are just too many human beings for this planet to cope with. We have become too efficient and ruthless in plundering resources while giving very belated thought to any long term future. But then that's human nature. We can condemn Brazil for felling the amazon rain forest but they are only doing what us Europeans have been doing for a very long time, the UK being one of the most nature depleted countries in the world. So the word hypocrite comes across very clearly as I watched the programme.

purplerallim said: that 
    What do I eat as I have nut allergies and am dairy intolerant, dont eat pulses or lentils ( gastric problem) if I didn't eat some meat it would be a VERY boring diet. 
    Potatoes and garlic. You can grow them yourself. Loads of different ways with potatoes! 🥔 

Sorted.
    Oh if you’re after a complete source of protein, then quinoa. With garlic 🤣