Forum home The potting shed

Environmental impact of the meat industry

18910111214»

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,494
    Please don’t sign off this thread @steveTu or have you run out of things to say. I think you’ve covered most points but do try to cover more.  (Floggingthedeadhorsesmilie) 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• steveTu said:

End of sermon. I will now retreat to my yacht and flush my tanks into the sea just for the halibut.

Just be careful on the yacht - remember what happened to Robert Maxwell.  Actually, perhaps your tanks would prove less polluting overall ;)

Will you be standing for The Lib Halibut Party ?  :D
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,482
    @steveTu I have not and do not disagree about waste or about food miles etc. I am not saying you should give up meat either. The thread was started I believe in response to the programme on TV. I said way back I am certain the programme makers had an agenda as they only showed industrialised "factory" farming. As always on these threads we have moved on from the initial discussion but I agree with others doing nothing is not an option just because we don't know everything.
    P.S. The  historical ice cores tell us about the "natural" background processes you keep on about, volcanoes, microbes plants animals other than humans. It is clear that industrialisation had lead to a huge increase in the problems but that does not mean I advocate we all go back to hunter gathering & living in mud huts & caves.
    AB Still learning

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,106
    @steveTu The Times article is behind a paywall so I can't read the whole, but from the gist of the beginning it seems that it's the regularity of testing river water that has fallen, and it is this that makes it unsafe to swim. This is unsurprising given the huge push for deregulation. I'm surprised, though, that this has fallen off the agenda while beach water testing seems still a high priority. Maybe the latter is seen to be more important for generating local tourist pounds. I imagine this gung ho deregulation will accelerate a pace after Brexit as it seems to be only the EU that dragged them to meet enforced eco targets in the frst place. I would be interested to read the whole article.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,483

Madness?!?!
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,396
    Not long got back from a holiday that took in Singapore 🇸🇬 ,they restrict the number of cars and are increasing the number of electric vehicles 🚗 and have excellent public transport but it only works because it is a very dense Urban area . 

• granmagranma Posts: 1,879
    There are   bad and good points about all this .one thing is done because it makes good.  but that  same issue causes more problems so can  a happy medium  be found ?
    Too many questions are answered with "get rid" ie ...... like landfill, but then what?????