Environmental impact of the meat industry

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,163
    Skandi said:

So it's amazing how people talk the talk but really don't walk the walk.

I personally have around 3 acres of land that cannot grown crops, 2 acres are too wet for machinery in spring and autumn.  and the last acre is an old gravel pit so steep sides and thin soil. These are the places animals should go.
    There is also a more than slightly inconvenient issue with plant proteins in the north, namely we need a good summer to get beans mature enough to dry. the only one that does grow is peas.. Pease pudding anyone? Hot or cold new or old.. your choice.
    I do agree so much.  On another point, I have said elsewhere we have a GD who did a vegan menu for her GCSE exams this summer. The amount of Cr*p you have to use to make recipes  work! Xanthan gum anyone?
    AB Still learning

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 480
    I'll be sorry I've posted this  .... but here goes   

The last time I ate meat was over 40 years ago, and I no longer eat eggs or any dairy produce. This is my choice ... and I've never preached to anyone that they should do the same.
    I love my food .... and really enjoy the very wide range of food I eat. I never think I'm missing out. 

There are climate change talks being reported in tonight's news bulletin .... the scientists say we are approaching "the point of no return" ...  we should all be shocked by this. 

I agree with the point made by @punkdoc  ... small changes by all of us would add up. 

I can't influence what people in other countries eat ... they also have the right to make choices for themselves - as I have. But I do fear for the very many poor nations who will be the first to start feeling the worst effects of our changing climate.

We do have a responsibility to care about what we are all doing to our planet.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,999
    Didn’t see that news bulletin, did they mention airplanes and ships, pollution on one trip equal to one years household pollution.
    They don’t usually because it suits them not too.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 480
    Hi @Lyn,

It was about the United Nations climate conference currently taking place in Madrid.
    https://unfccc.int/cop25

So it's looking at all causes of global warming .... not just food choices ... and agreeing actions to try and reverse the current rises. 

Here's hoping they can make progress.

Bee x

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,999
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 296
    Always bear in mind that science only knows what science knows AT A POINT IN TIME - science evolves (as it must do) and views change. Science just documents, it doesn't create (in as much as it can't create something that can't be created - if that makes sense).
    My bug bear is scientists talking as if they are at the pinnacle of knowledge and that their view then is immutable. 'Standing on the shoulders of giants' has two meanings.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 187
    steveTu said:
    Always bear in mind that science only knows what science knows AT A POINT IN TIME - science evolves (as it must do) and views change. Science just documents, it doesn't create (in as much as it can't create something that can't be created - if that makes sense).
    My bug bear is scientists talking as if they are at the pinnacle of knowledge and that their view then is immutable. 'Standing on the shoulders of giants' has two meanings.

Indeed. There is also the possibility that current science is incorrect (it happens!) and therefore proposed solutions to "climate change" are incorrect - and they only need to be so by a very small fraction for that error to be greatly magnified in 50 or 100 years.

Having said that the "Waste Hierachy" is still a mantra by which I think we should all try to live by.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,383
    Problem is, if they are right, then in 50 years time large parts of the world will be uninhabitable.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • steveTu said:

You talk as if Scientific knowledge is merely fashion, which changes randomly with time, whereas it actually moves forward and builds on existing knowledge. The idea that the Earth is round will never be disproved, nor will the fact that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. These 'views' are immutable because they are demonstrable facts. That is why we can be confident that reducing CO2 emissions will slow down global warming.
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 296
    I must admit I haven't looked at the CO2 data, but we know the planet goes through cycles - hot/cold interchange, poles move, magnetic fields alter and develop holes. All this is known. Mini ice ages as recent as the 18th Century - mini warm peiods in medieval times. What are the 'normal' planetary cycles? Over what periods? What sun cycles?
    But what I would say, is that if CO2 is thought to be the culprit (which appears to be the current scientific thought) behind any warming. then tackle it - as long as by tackling it, another 'effect' isn't being created that someone else will have to deal with. If it turns out that CO2 wasn't the cause, then what the heck. Cleaner energy seems like a win win - although I haven't seen how people propose to deal with all the batteries from 'n' million cars, homes etc.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)