Suggestions please

We have a couple of Tall urns outside our front gate - so exposed to all weathers and passing traffic. I would like to use all year round robust plants that look good and attract bees, butterflies etc. What would you recommend?

• HexagonHexagon Posts: 939
    I’m not sure if pyrcantha would fit the bill? I’ve seen quite a few trained up the sides of doorways and the berry colours are stunning. Not sure if they would work in free standing urns.

Shame it’s got such evil thorns. I wouldn’t buy one unless I could leave it completely unpruned!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,738
    That's quite a difficult one but how about Erigeron karvianskius (probably not spelt right but you probably know the plant I mean!) It's more or less evergreen here and I guess it's warmer in Guernsey overall. It has masses of flowers all summer - in fact mine are still in flower now - just and would trail quite prettily down the urns. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,745
    Trailing Rosemary is pretty. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,677
    I really like a large urn overflowing with sempervivums and sedums 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I have just found this picture taken a couple of years ago, when the urns (2 of them) looked at their best, in fact I think they look lovely and so did our family and neighbours, although they didn't attract any passing bees or other insects on the wing. The evergreen shrub whose name escapes me blends well here, and although I have pruned it many times it is now very woody. Thanks for suggestions so far.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,677
    Goodness me that looks gorgeous 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,738
    I'm so envious, I very rarely get my pots looking so good as yours!
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 939
    An evergreen shrub with 3 different colours of flowers, never seen that before, I would get another one. 
  • Thank you.  You are right it does look lovely, this picture was taken 2 or 3 years ago, when the shrub did look good, now it is woody, the pelogoniums are struggling too even though the plants are fed and watered at least once a week.  The shrub is far too woody so perhaps I need to prune it right down to a few inches so it can rejuvenate again. Although I would like to start again with sometime to attract wildlife.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,481
    Pellies are no good for wildlife, but yours do look great.