Recommendations for greenhouse staging

mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 7
I need to get more staging for my greenhouse as I accidently ordered 80 instead of 40 bare root perennials and apart from the fact its getting a bit late to plant out the target bed isn't ready. I have a Rhino greenhouse with Rhino staging which is great but want something cheaper to get me through this peak. I want about 6ft wide and 2 ft deep with 2 layers. The choice is endless - any recommendations or warnings to avoid?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,349
    I'd recommend freecycle, or make your own
    Devon.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 744
    I use trellis, cut to the size I need.
  • mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 7
    cornelly said:
    What do you make the 'legs' out of?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,349
    cornelly said:
    What do you make the 'legs' out of?

you could use 3" square fence posts, cut to size.
    Devon.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 966
    Have a search for industrial workbenches and shelving. Bigdug is one supplier but there are many more. Much cheaper and stronger than greenhouse stuff. The shelves tend to be just chipboard but paint them with Hammerite and they will last for years.
  • We didn't like our original wooden staging in our hexagonal greenhouse, so we bought the Omar shelving units from IKEA, quite cheap and very light, and they can be built in different sizes and more/less shelves depending on what you need.
  • It sounds as if the extra staging is only going to be temporary to see you over your excess purchases.
    If that's the case, not worth expending a great deal of money.  If your GH is glass to ground, make up some "Duck boards", stand them on a few bricks ( or whatever else comes to hand ) and set your excess plants on there.