Christmas cards

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,098
    I like that image of feast and friends @Fire. I too prefer the spirit and sentiment of celebrating Winter, so Christmas is a convenient excuse. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,803
    I send a card to each of my daughters, and nobody else. I don't even give Hubby one. ( stop it @Fairygirl)
    I transfer money into my daughters' bank accounts before I go to bed on Dec 24th and that's it.  No tree, no glitter, no excessive landfill wrapping paper  and I refuse to wear the xmas apron at Waitrose.
    Bah Humbug 
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,166
    Wot!!! No antlers @Hostafan1 ?... spoilsport 🙄 🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,516
    `presents:

• HexagonHexagon Posts: 959
    edited November 2019
    I have enough cards to last me a lifetime. Get some free most years on an offer. Obligatory card to the mother or she'll moan at me. Can't send a present without a card or I'll get a right b*llocking.
    Anyone I visit in person gets an obligatory card.
    I only give cards to comply with a social obligation that will see me being judged negatively for not giving a card. If the neighbours give a card, they get one back. They wouldn't appreciate a note saying "I'm not religious ya b*wsack"
    I try to go for cards that say "happy holidays" or "season's greetings" - avoiding all religious connnotations and more in line with our current commercial festival. I like the idea of a winter festival, but not the way it's done.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 959
    @Fire your cards and gifts are very tasteful :)
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,516
    Why, thank you.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 867
    edited November 2019
    Yes, classy. I like them very much.

I have been a bit surprised reading this thread by the number of people who send no or very few cards. That seems at odds with our experience and the social circle we’re in - most houses we visit at Christmas have scores and scores of cards on mantlepieces etc. This set me in search of the figures.

On average every person in the UK sends 16 Christmas cards. That is 36 cards per household. We spent £225 million on the one billion Christmas cards we send, so that makes them 23p each. 75% of over 65s send Christmas cards, 49% of 26-34 year olds and 43% of 16-24 year olds.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,007
    @Fire I think your cards are lovely too.

I send about 70 cards and OH sends about 12 to friends he knew before I met him that I haven't met. I buy them in England, here in France they are 2 - 3€ each.
    Dordogne and Norfolk