Christmas cards

• PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 456
    We send fewer and fewer Christmas cards each year to save the trees.  We send a few to old friends we rarely get to see anymore as they are clear across the country.  If we have spoken to them in person or by phone in the last couple years, we no longer send a card.  We do like to put up a tree just to enjoy the beauty.  As we have no children, and our parents are all gone now, gift exchanging is very low-key.  This house we bought 4 years ago is located on a street that goes all out (overboard IMO) for Christmas decorating and our short street has become quite the stop-and-look-see spot to tour during the holidays.  So as not to be the block "spoilers", we do make sure to decorate the front, though we never did so before moving here.  Here's last year's photo:   
    My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 871
    Bullfinch, Peggy - I’m very impressed. Both are stylish and quite muted. Hats off to both of you.
  • Not only glitter on cards and wrapping paper but also light pollution - I'd agree with BenCotto that if you feel the need to decorate and/or send cards, both Peggy and Bullfinch have done an excellent job :):)  
  • Did you make those cards @bullfinch? They are lovely and the type I prefer to receive too.  I used to make all my own cards and my daughter too.  However I can no longer manage to do that. No cards with glitter here either - they can't be recycled here and I noticed fewer are now being sent.  We prefer to support charity cards i.e. Oxfam, RSPB or Action Aid.
  • Thanks @BenCotto and @Guernsey Donkey2, yes, they're little cross-stitch pictures, I made them over the course of the year 🙂
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,143
    Just noticed that this discussion has been posted in the Wildlife Gardening section of the forum.
    Is there some innuendo intended?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,088
    Papi Jo said:
    Just noticed that this discussion has been posted in the Wildlife Gardening section of the forum.
    No i just posted it in the wrong place.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,212
    Papi Jo said:
    That point was discussed earlier in the thread ... keep up 😆 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,102
    I am the ‘spoiler’ in my street! No outside lights or decs. I do like a tree, or greenery, with lights indoors though, as I feel it is cosy and celebrates Winter.

I have very mixed feelings about Christmas -personal and philosophical (and because I work over Christmas). I do keep some nods to it, partly to evoke memories of family and childhood I suppose, but I am a fan of making things individual and unique too.

I buy one or two packs of cards, from the local hospice charity, and they are just for close family or friends. I am gradually reducing presents by working on the givers to calm down and save themselves some money and time. 

My garden and I live in South Wales.