Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Christmas cards

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,568
    Back to @Logan4 's original question,  when it comes to the design of the cards, l am an unashamed traditionalist. I like robins, snow, red post boxes in a snowy country lane, all that sort of thing .
    I like sending and receiving cards, but the cost is certainly rising.
    I have an address book going back over 40 years, with names added in and crossed out for various reasons(people have moved, died, etc.).
    As l go through it each year and write the cards, it reminds me of friends l met years ago and the experiences we shared.
    I have sent and received e-cards, but they are mostly for friends overseas.

• We send cards to friends and relatives we love but who, for various reasons, we see only seldom, and enjoy receiving a few cards from the same small group. 

We enjoy buying small gifts for close family members and special friends. 

A few days before Christmas we decorate a corner of the living room with greenery, lights and aforementioned cards. 

We either travel to spend a couple of days with family members or happily spend a quiet couple of days at home together enjoying each other’s company along with some special foodie treats.

We clear the detritus away for Twelfth Night and put out a bowl of flowering bulbs and look forward to Spring. 

We like our sort of Christmas 🎄 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032
    I was going to say just what @AnniD has said! I like to send and receive Christmas cards, they make up part of my Christmas decorations as well. I find email cards rather disappointing. I enclose a Christmas letter in the cards for closest friends and family. Since living in France it is a good way of keeping in touch with friends in England.

I like to "do" Christmas, but then I have a big family in France. If they don't come on Christmas Day, as going to in-laws, other relations, then they choose a different day to come to me. But I can see how it can be a sad time of year for those who don't have enough money or who don't have family.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 Posts: 2,243
    I don't send cards.  For personal reasons I don't celebrate Christmas at all. This year I will be using the time off work to decorate the hall and stairs. 
    West Yorkshire
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,480
    Youll be decking the halls then😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I'm trying to make my Christmas cards, these are the only finished ones so far..... The rest still need cutting out and glueing on......🎅
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 556
    We send fewer and fewer Christmas cards each year to save the trees.  We send a few to old friends we rarely get to see anymore as they are clear across the country.  If we have spoken to them in person or by phone in the last couple years, we no longer send a card.  We do like to put up a tree just to enjoy the beauty.  As we have no children, and our parents are all gone now, gift exchanging is very low-key.  This house we bought 4 years ago is located on a street that goes all out (overboard IMO) for Christmas decorating and our short street has become quite the stop-and-look-see spot to tour during the holidays.  So as not to be the block "spoilers", we do make sure to decorate the front, though we never did so before moving here.  Here's last year's photo:   
    My low-carb recipe site: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,712
    Bullfinch, Peggy - I’m very impressed. Both are stylish and quite muted. Hats off to both of you.
    Rutland, England
  • Did you make those cards @bullfinch? They are lovely and the type I prefer to receive too.  I used to make all my own cards and my daughter too.  However I can no longer manage to do that. No cards with glitter here either - they can't be recycled here and I noticed fewer are now being sent.  We prefer to support charity cards i.e. Oxfam, RSPB or Action Aid.