Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Christmas cards

What sort of cards do all of you like? Does it have glitter on or not? I like the glitter it really makes a card but that's just me.

• LG_LG_ Posts: 4,353
    I always liked a bit of glitter, but since becoming aware of microplastics pollution I've avoided buying anything with glitter on it. I think there are non-plastic glitters available, but I very much doubt they're being used on commercial cards and wrapping papers, sadly, so I just avoid.

Tbh I like cards that have been sent with thought and love, regardless of the look of them. But I am a sucker for those with delicate paper cutting and / or pop ups!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352
    Without wishing to be boring - modern glitter is yet another ‘thing’ which contributes to micro plastics in the environment. As it is a totally non-essential item I agree with many others that it’s time to ban it.

Sorry.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • I try to avoid glitter for environmental reasons ... however this year the cards I ordered from a charity we support have arrived, complete with a little bit of glitter, although this wasn’t apparent from the illustration online or from the description. 

I’ve decided to ‘tolerate’ it this year but forewarned is forearmed and next year I shall make enquiries before purchasing. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Logan4Logan4 Posts: 2,590
    Ah yes I never thought of that,but if it was do you like it on cards. Also I've posted this in the wrong place sorry.
  • Well, if we’re considering its impact on the environment, it’s in exactly the right place 😉 👍 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,566
    I have some glittery cards to use up from previous years, but have made sure that this year's purchases are glitter free.
    I did enjoy the days at primary and junior school though, lots of glue and making glitter covered Christmas cards for my family. Different times. 
  • Logan4Logan4 Posts: 2,590
    edited November 2019
    Well, if we’re considering its impact on the environment, it’s in exactly the right place 😉 👍 
    Thank you but that's not why I posted this.
    If we think about all the other plastics in the environment, glitter is minimal.
    They say that plastic is in tea bags, look how much we drink tea. But that's going to change, they're trying to find a way so that the bags don't fall apart when in water. I've gone back to using loose tea,it's more messy but at least plastic won't be in my body. :)👍
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,712
    I have fixed opinions on Christmas cards.

I dislike glitter cards on environmental grounds, because the glitter is shed on surfaces and I find that annoying but, most of all, because they are not to my taste.

About half a dozen people on my Christmas list have told me that they are no longer sending cards, the reason being environmental rather than economic, and instead are making a donation to charity. How much, I wonder and should I carry on sending cards to them?

I was mulling this over while writing some Christmas cards yesterday. We tend to buy cards in the January sales mostly from the National Gallery, the Royal Academy and the Fitzwilliam Museum. There are other charitable organisations I would support but, frankly, I just find their offerings bland or tacky. Sending just over 100 cards a year, I would say the cost easily tops £100. Is this the scope of the donation that is made? And every year? One cannot ask but I suspect not.

Also I like the tradition of cards. I like it when people can find the time to add a few words about what has been going on in their lives over the past year and it is a lovely, festive way of staying in touch. By contrast, I detest impersonal round robins - boast posts - as I have no interest in hearing about the inflated achievements of other family members and friends who are unconnected to me.

We concluded if a card is not sent to us we would not send to them. If an environmentally friendly email is sent it will be reciprocated. Obviously we would continue sending cards to those who, due to infirmity or finance, find sending cards impractical. 

My wife is incredibly efficient when it comes to cards. She has a notebook in which she catalogues what card was sent to whom so the same card is not sent two years running, and also notes the essence of messages sent to us so we can reference the news the following year. She also has another notebook in which she lists Christmas and birthday presents given and bought for the future. We try to search things that are very suitable for the recipient - but buy in the sales to economise. Bought piecemeal in this way, the cost is spread through the year and there are no last minute “that’ll-do” purchases. I think all Christmas presents for this year are bought, most of next year’s birthday presents, and even some beyond that. 

Oh goodness, I said I hate ‘boast posts’ and think I have just written one. Feel free to label me a conceited snob. You’re probably right!
    Rutland, England
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,474
    All that organisation doesn't sound like much fun.
    I don't mind what's on the card so long as it doesn't say 'Happy Holidays ', which seems irrelevant unless you've decided to go skiing.
    Season's Greetings is a bit of a cop out too, but I can live with that.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,474
    Bah humbug!
    In London. Keen but lazy.