Forum home Problem solving

Acidic soils

2»

• Thanks for all the advice!  I didn't know what I was getting into!!
    My garden is minute and planting is in small deep beds composed of principally commercial compost as there is no soil. (I kidnap worms from friends gardens)
    On West coast of Scotland watering is no problem!!!  What started the question was seeing Monty Don making a bed for acid loving plants with farmyard manure then covering with pine needles.
    I have now removed the manure and replanted with ericaceous compost. Very helpful to know the best time to add fertilizer, thanks Raisingirl!!
  • this is the situation. Thanks to all, she
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,896
    I know - @Lyn - but not at the start, and hence my subsequent comment about the watering ;)
    Do you mean they're in raised beds you've built @sheila.footloose? If so, they'll need more than just compost to sustain them long term. I'm a bit confused about the 'deep beds' but no soil description.
    I've never had any problems with using manure in any garden I've had here, and the soil in all of them has been largely neutral to acidic, not even heavily acidic. I've never fed my rhodos or azaleas, other than a general one on planting, and then a mulch of bark or similar now and again.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....