Whose hole?

BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 792
edited 23 November in Wildlife gardening
This hole appeared near our apple tree. It is next to a small paving stone I use as a stepping stone but we lifted it and there's nothing under it. The hole just goes back and down. There's a teaspoon for scale. Doesn't seem like a rat hole to me. Strange place for it as I'm there a lot. Any ideas? 

• I had a similar hole near an old apple tree where I used to live.  It was a rat hole.  They appeared to like the tangle of roots for nesting - and it was near our "dalek" compost bins, and they made full use of the scavenging opportunities as well.

Best deal with it before it becomes established I think.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,674
    I think that looks like a typical rat hole I’m afraid. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 792
    Oh dear... Mr B will have to get the airgun out. 
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,056
    Oh I do like being number 5 in the list of spam reporters. Little things😁
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 792
    edited 3 December
    Funnily we tried a trap but only got field mice, which I don't like to kill. No action seen in the regards of rats, still not convinced. I've filled the hole with sand to see if they re-dig it. I'm hoping Mr B has got me a trail camera for my impending birthday.