Filling a area after removal of a pond.

This may not be the correct Category for my question.

After having a pond for several years and now reshaped the area back to lawn using the surround soil.
In the area where I want a bed for sun and dry tolerant plants/bushes (Banana, Yucca, New Zealand fern, Palm and Canna etc), I do not have sufficient soil to bring the bed to the level of the surround garden/lawn. My soil is mainly Clay which can be soggy in winter and dry/cracking in summer.

So which compost would be suggested suitable for Tropical plants/bushes knowing they need good drainage using a mixture of grit and etc.  multipurpose or any of the John Innes composts. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,622
    IMHO if you fill the "pond" with gritty soil , surrounded by clay soil, you'll create a sump where water will collect , unable to penetrate into the adjoining clay soil. 
    Methinks this may be opposite conditions to those for which you're hoping?
    Devon.
  • Thanks
    Thought about that, the void is approx 30cm deep covering approx 2sqMts also thought of digging grit into surrounding soil as the garden has a slope aiding run off/drainage somewhat.  
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,622
    cannas are happy in very damp soils too, even in water. Maybe adjust your planting to the soil , rather than the other way around?
    Devon.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,981
    Hosta's right, you'll always struggle to get sharp drainage if you have a hollow in poor draining soil, no matter how much grit you dig in. Luckily there are lots of 'tropical looking' plants that like moist soil. You could even leave the liner in (pierced a few times) to create a sort of bog garden.

If you want to grow plants that require good drainage, the simplest way is to plant them on a mound or raised bed, or you could install a French drain taking excess water to a soakaway. Simply incorporating grit will not do much by itself.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 156
    Hi Terrysworld, we have a planting scheme like this with similar ground problems.We built the bed up about a ft higher than the surrounding area it's worked well. It is within a corner of the garden so doesn't look too out of place. Plants have all done very well

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,858
    I'd raise the area, and if you use a good mix of rotted manure, compost and grit, that will provide a good medium for planting into.
    Probably best to avoid anything requiring really sharp drainage, until you get a feel for the area though, and then you can experiment. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....