Forum home Problem solving

Overwintering houseleeks?

Hello, I bought a cobweb houseleek plant last spring and planted it in a container. It has been really prolific with lots of 'offspring', but these have all risen up lately into a pyramid, and many are now breaking off. We've had loads of rain and it does look saturated. Should I bring it inside for winter? Or any other suggestions? Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom! May

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,334
    turn the pot onto its side and prop it up that way to allow it to drain
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,892
    They do well in a cold frame or unheated greenhouse but anywhere that is protected from the rain will do. Make sure they are kept well ventilated and remove any dead material from around them.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    I tuck mine under the roof overhang, so they stay dryer.  Fine outside, but hate being too wet or permanently sodden. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    Mine are outside all the time. If the drainage is right, they should be fine.
    I'm not in a very dry part of the country, and I grow mine in virtually nothing but grit/perlite and some gritty compost. 
    Once you've drained the excess water off, as @Hostafan1 describes, it might be worth repotting them to get a better growing medium for them  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....