name-that-bug-

Just out of nowhere this little gem appeared? can someone please enlighten me as to what it is? 

Reagrds

CH

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,244

Elephant hawkmoth  caterpillar, 2nd one on the forum this week, I still haven't seen one, ever. But I do know the moth

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,221

These lucky people finding these hawk moths. I'm out in the garden every night waiting to see one as the fields around our house are full of rosebay willowherb which is, I think, their food plant. Still not seen one!image

• you r right,they are really pretty.image

wb, Try sugaring a tree and going out with a torch to look

.http://insects.about.com/od/entomologytools/a/Sugaring-For-Moths.htm

Probably too late for this one, There weren't any in our last trap, but lots of moths still about. Weusealight trap but sugaring needs no equipment and doesn't disturb the neighbours

I'm afraid the only "sugaring" I know is the one at the beauty parlour. Not the same thing, I take it. Doing that in the garden at midnight would maybe not disturb the neighbours but it might surprise them.

I'm afraid a beauty parlour is outside my experience.image

We don't really have next door neighbours, except the farmer and he's not out there at night. The people over the roadalready know we're a bit weird

No, I've had a look and I am pretty sure that sugaring at the beauty parlour does not involve over ripe bananas.

There is one in the fruit bowl as I write. Do i just smear it on the tree with some brown sugar and kirsch? I'll have a go. It's beautifull warm tonight.

Give it a try, nothing to lose. Take your camera

• Lol kirsch are you trying to get the insects drunk???!!!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,748

nut is that really what you do to get them in? That's brilliant - I might even get brave enough to do that but I don't know if we get them up here in Scotland. Probably just extra wasps which are enjoying all sorts of stuff just now. To think we had all that willowherb at last house that we spent hours keeping back from invading the entire garden and there could have been loads of those dining in style! image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past