Forum home Problem solving

What soil to buy for Pinus nigra 210 cm tall?

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,825
    edited November 2019
    The palm looks like Trachycarpus to me - perfectly hardy. I have one roughly the same size in a pot that's about 30cm in diameter.

I would plant the palm and the pine in separate containers though. 

I would recommend going for John Innes no. 3 if you're unsure. It's what you would use for most shrubs and trees that are going to be in their pots for a long time.

There isn't 'one correct answer' to your query - that's the problem. I'm suggesting JI no.3 as it's a simple solution. In reality I tend to improvise my potting compost for cost and convenience, for example mixing cheap multipurpose compost with soil and sand to make soil that is similar-ish to JI no.3. But that's a bit complicated to get across so I would say stick with JI no.3 as it's fit-for-purpose straight out of the bag.

• okeroker Posts: 22
    Some people here say a pine needs peat, doesn't it?
    Is in the John Innes no. 3 and 2 and 1 a  peat? If yes, in which one(s) mostly.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,042
    no peat in JI compost
    Devon.
  • okeroker Posts: 22
    Hostafan1 said:
    no peat in JI compost
    Well, what should I buy to be peat in there?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,042
    I give up!!
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 32,837
    @Hostafan1- you know that phrase about heads and walls.... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,141
    Your pine doesn’t need peat. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,418
    The confusion about peat came from @Fairygirl 's first post...don't understand why you have to be passive aggressive. It's very easy to ignore this thread and be done with it...
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 32,837
    The only reason I said not peat free compost is because its mostly rubbish.
    I apologise if that meant someone misunderstood, but I did clarify later on that pines only needed some basic soil to grow in, which they do, and that they only need to be in a soil that's  'not alkaline' - as that isn't suitable for them to do well.

I do feel that many people have bent over backwards to try and help the OP, but I'm not sure any of it is being taken in  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,418
    Hopefully this should clarify the confusion...and can all go our merry ways 😉
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow