Forum home Problem solving

What soil to buy for Pinus nigra 210 cm tall?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Pete.8 said:
    Hostafan1 said:
    from previous postings, I believe it's going to be a christmas tree

A tree is not just for Christmas!
    :)
    I fear this one might be
    Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    bah humbug
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,136
    I refer you to my earlier posts @oker. You're overthinking it. Just mix it up.
    As long as there's a decent amount of soil, and it isnt alkaline, pines will grow in it.
    Soil based mediums prevent too much drying out, which is what happens if you use compost alone.
    That's even more important when it's a very large specimen in a pot. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• okeroker Posts: 22
    Oh my god..... Right now I really cannot know which one. Some one said here john innes n. 1, some one said n. 2, and some one said n. 3. So, 1 or 2 or 3???

The pine will come together with this palm, little tree with the lemon color and these little roses. I will make a larger pot to put these everything together : 145 cm x 115 x 55. This is the maximum size I can do. No larger space for this. No little legs for the pot. I will make the pot by myself, so, the pot will have no bottom like this on the picture. Directly on the pavement.

• You will need to provide a bottom to your pot/pots otherwise your soil will just drain away when it rains/you water.
    Look up the best medium and conditions for the plants you have bought and go from there.  JI 2 or 3 should do.
    I think you have probably exhausted the advice available at present :)
  • okeroker Posts: 22
    I am worried the pot with no bottom will be too closed with the pavement and the water will not be able to go away. So, you think, I should not be worried it will be too wet when it is raining?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,136
    I think I'm boughing out of this thread now. 
    You need to look at how plants grow @oker. A plastic bag isn't suitable. Those plants together in that photo aren't going to be happy for any length of time. 
    The 'little tree'' is indeed a tree, it's a conifer. 
    You need proper, sturdily built containers - with bases - to grow them, and learn which plants will grow together in the same space. The bases should have plenty of drainage holes, and be raised off the ground to allow excess water to get away as @philippa smith2 has explained. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,529
    You might be interested in this video about how to achieve attractive winter containers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0345w3v
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,904
    How can you possibly expect to grow plants like this in one container ?
    I have Pinus nigra in my garden ( still young @ 30' high and 20' across ) , 25-years on .
    The 'little tree' looks like Cupressus macrocarpa 'Goldcrest' ; these attain similar proportions in half the time .
    Your palm , from what I can make from the indistinct imagery , is not one of the approximately 2-species which tend to survive in the UK (trust you're in the UK)?
    Maybe time to re-think your planting strategies ?