Forum home Plants

Anemone Japonica'Whirlwind'

I have had 2 of these potted plants delivered. Should I plant them out now or leave them in my small poly greenhouse and wait until the spring. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,342
    Japanese anemones are amongst the hardiest garden plants there are so planting out now shouldn't be a problem (but avoid doing so if the ground is very soggy or frozen.)  Because you don't really know how the plants have been raised, it is safest to harden them off by putting the pots in your GH at night and moving them outside during the day for a week or so which will allow them to acclimatise.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,042
    Just do as @BobTheGardener suggests to be safe, but they'll be fine. 
    I've had Whirlwind for several years and it's very nice  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,616
    I have  Anemone x ‘Whirlwind’ too and can recommend them. Actually, they were lovely for the first 3 years but disappointing the last 2 years, maybe lacking watering?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • they are pest
    very difficult to get rid off
    put them in containers
    they reseed themselves in the lawn
      to avoid  at all cost
    you will need years to eradicate them
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,616
    I beg to disagree with you, @nicole.goldman. They are lovely flowers and I don't find them invasive at all in my garden.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,241
    I have never found Anemone Whirlwind to be a problem..or seed around.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Thank you all for the comments. I will plant them and see what happens. Looking forward to flowering time
  • DorcascentsDorcascents Posts: 88
    Papa Jo, I have been on your virtual garden again, Beautiful it is , back in 2016. Looking at the west  garden, I see tall peach flowers and wondered what they are?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,042
    They also don't make good container plants . It's a well behaved member of the Jap. Anemone family  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DorcascentsDorcascents Posts: 88
    Thank you Fairygirl, I have just the spot for it. Now just a case of wait and see. Take care and stay safe