Forum home Tools and techniques

Cold frame advice please ...

I'm making a cold frame - a little late I know - and would appreciate advice as to what to site it on. I won't be moving it around. 
Can I place it facing west to east? I've read they're best facing south but I could only do this if I put it at the front of the house on an already crowded patio (and the pane I've been given for the top measures 30 ins square so it would take up quite a bit of room there).
I am/was intending to use it to over-winter some cuttings and to get myself into gear with seeds next year.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,334
    I wouldn't worry @Foxies - east/west is fine. Cold frames are most useful just for overwintering and hardening off, and offering protection for small plants and cuttings etc.
    The base can be anything - gravel is good, but if you have paving that's also fine  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FoxiesFoxies Posts: 60
    Thank you @Fairygirl. I have some horrible paving stones which will do the job quite nicely then  :)
     As long as excess water can drain away- they'll be perfect :) 

• Cold frames are normally placed facing north which incidentally is how they get their name cold frames so I wouldn't be too worried about them not facing south. Placing them on flagstones will be great so long as there's drainage as fairgirl says. If you're hinging the lids it might be worth putting them against a post or the house which will serve well as something to lean the lid against whilst you're working on the plants in them. Best of luck.
    Thank you @theenduringgardener ... I need to level the site for the (4) flagstones to sit so it will be over the gaps between them and the lid will open against the fence. Does the lid have to be on a slope?
    It's not absolutely vital, but it's better as it allows more light in, which is beneficial for new growth.
    It largely depends how you're going to use it. If it's just to shelter small plants from the worst weather for example, it won't matter too much. 

Thanks @Fairygirl ... I think I *will* slope it .... it'll allow rain run-off ... and stop the cat from getting comfy  ;)
     :D