Forum home Fruit & veg

New Here, Need help about growing Veg for Rabbits

2»

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,892
    P.S. Dont let the Netherland Dwarf get away with being picky. They need the mixed diet to keep their guts healthy, it will always pick out its favourite first, but if not over fed will eat what it should too. Alternate between pellets and fresh food each day, the rabbit will soon get the message. 😁
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 4,867
    Book shelves sound a bit shallow for growing most veg apart from salads, spinach, greens, herbs, etc. Remember to drill some drainage holes in the backs.

Brassicas like broccoli and sprouts are tall, hefty plants that have a long growing season, need a deeper root run, firmed in well and staked. They will need a soil-based growing medium and are better grown in the ground or in deep raised beds placed on the soil. Anything too light or shallow and they won’t thrive and/or topple over.

Carrots will also need a deep run unless you grow the short, fat or round type and prefer a lighter, free-draining soil that has not had any added manure.

Mint spreads like crazy so best kept in a separate pot away from everything else.

I would get yourself a good book on growing vegetables in tubs and containers to familiarise yourself with the basics of what grows well with what, what time to sow, plant out, harvest etc., and the basics of vegetable cultivation, soil, watering requirements, crop rotation etc.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,925
    Judging by the odd wild rabbit which appears here, they will absolutely love flat-leaved parsley which I find keeps growing throughout the winter.  I rather like it too, much more so than the crinkley stuff which I consider a herb mainly for the eyes rather than palate! :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.