Forum home Tools and techniques

How do you sieve your home made compost?

Apologies if this has been asked before, probably a bit of a newbie question here.

I have a couple of compost heaps that look like the will be ready to be used soon. I have one of those green round sieves that I put it though to get any debris out before using. However there are two problems:

1. When you have a lot to sieve it takes a lot of time

2. the surface area is too small

Does anyone sieve over a wheelbarrow of larger box and if so do you use sheets of mesh? If so where do you get them from and how many gauges of mesh do you use.

Thanks

Richard

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,487
     Never sieved compost, just chuck it on the ground in the autumn and by Spring  the worms will have chop it up and taken it down. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,428
    Ditto. I've never sieved mine either
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,844
    Hostafan1 said:
    Ditto. I've never sieved mine either
    Same here. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

edited November 2019
    TBH, I've never oiled my spade ( no tittering at the back ) or sharpened my secateurs or dipped them in disinfectant . Maybe I'm a lazy slut , or maybe I've just not got as much spare time on my hands?
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,844
    I think there’s often a confusion about the term ‘compost’.  Home made compost is usually used as a mulch or soil conditioner ... it only needs to be sieved if it’s going to be combined with loam and grit etc to make potting compost. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I sieve compost if i'm using it to pot plants up (especially small plants) I use a rotary one with a handle sat in a wheelbarrow, i can usually do it sitting down with a long handled shovel
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,513
    We only sieve compost sometimes, when we can see it's still got big lumps/twigs in it (i.e. not made properly/not cooked sufficiently). Fortunately I still have my late Dad's big old garden sieve (about 2 ft diameter) which fits nicely on the top of a plastic trub.
    my theory is , if it's not big enough to grab hold of, it's not big enough to worry about , so it can stay in there.
    Devon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,484
    Never sieved my compost either.

How big is your sieve? I think it would have to be pretty big and doing it over a wheelbarrow sounds a good idea. That's if you really want to sieve it.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,614
    The nearest I’ve ever got to sieving compost is chucking the odd large uncomposted twig back into one of the cooking bins and hoiking out the old plant labels and odd bits of plastic that always seem to end up in the bin.

Richard - If it’s just to be used as a mulch I really wouldn’t bother.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down