Forum home Problem solving

Is this lavender?

Hello,
I sowed lavender seeds in a tray a few weeks ago. I have two seedlings in a tray now, but I am not sure if they are lavender. I am posting pictures of the seedlings. Can anyone please tell me if they are lavender or not? And if yes, when do the seedlings get their lavender-like leaves?
Thank you in advance! :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    No none of those are lavender seedlings. The leaves of lavender seedlings are recognisable as lavender. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Omg :'(  I thought I was going to succed this time with lavender seeds. I read it on some sites that lavender seedlings take a few weeks to get their actual set of leaves, the ones looking like lavender. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    edited November 2019
    The first two leaves ... the cotyledons or what are sometimes called seed leaves ... aren’t like lavender leaves, but the true leaves that appear after that look more like lavender... if you scroll down here  

https://hortographical.wordpress.com/category/herbs-2/

you’ll see a photo of a lavender seedling. 

Don’t give up ... you’ve got some tiny seedlings just showing through ... wait and see how they develop ... they could be your lavender. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,030
    Sometimes there are weeds seeds in compost, so you might have a few more of those intruders  ;)
    Your compost looks very wet. Try to let it dry out a bit more before watering. Soggy compost and seeds is never a good combination. With trays, it's usually better to water from below rather than above, as it helps prevent small seeds being washed away, and all ending up at one side.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Where did you get the seeds from @Moon_light ? We frequently see this when people order seed from unscrupulous far eastern eBay sellers. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Thank you so much everyone for your help. I'll try sowing the seeds again. 

@amancalledgeorge - I got the seeds pack from a gardening shop. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    I sow my lavender seeds, indoors on the 24th March, barely cover them with a sprinkle of vermiculite them just spray very gently.  I find the seed compost is damp enough, I rarely water it, just spray. Lavender like to be on the dry side. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Thank you so much everyone for your help. I'll try sowing the seeds again. 

@amancalledgeorge - I got the seeds pack from a gardening shop. 
    Very odd they'd sell dud seeds...let them know maybe they can replace them for another packet and tell their supplier. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,030
    I think it's worth sowing more but keeping them drier, as @Lyn describes, and see if that works  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,973
    edited November 2019
    You could try some cuttings, much easier way of getting lavender plants than from seed.

See if you can nab some from somewhere (either with permission or... discreetly... ;P), and plant them out in the garden (make a little furrow and plant them in a row along the top, this helps with drainage). Most of them will probably root by next April/May. You only need little pieces like this (strip off the lower leaves) -

See the source image