New Build - Ideas Welcome

13»

• I'm prefer to draw than write so I did a sketch (a very rough one) based on your pictures. I think a couple of circular lawns will add some structure to the space and give you plenty of space around them for planting. I've put the office in the closest corner through a rose arch which will keep the space open in the larger part of the garden which has better views beyond.  A birdbath or bird table outside the window of the office will be a welcome distraction. In the other corner there's space for a focal point - maybe a pergola with a bench beneath ?  The fences here would be lend themselves well for training a couple of fruit trees up. Between the lawns there's a small pond to keep the wildlife happy and give you something to look at from the house. It's all very exciting and you'll make it your own but hopefully there's a couple of ideas here that will get you thinking. Best of luck.

• I'm prefer to draw than write so I did a sketch (a very rough one) based on your pictures. I think a couple of circular lawns will add some structure to the space and give you plenty of space around them for planting. I've put the office in the closest corner through a rose arch which will keep the space open in the larger part of the garden which has better views beyond.  A birdbath or bird table outside the window of the office will be a welcome distraction. In the other corner there's space for a focal point - maybe a pergola with a bench beneath ?  The fences here would be lend themselves well for training a couple of fruit trees up. Between the lawns there's a small pond to keep the wildlife happy and give you something to look at from the house. It's all very exciting and you'll make it your own but hopefully there's a couple of ideas here that will get you thinking. Best of luck.

Thank you, great to see some different ideas. 

Very similar to what I've come up with.

I do agree with the circular lawns but I was hoping only to level a patio area and paths, I feel a structured lawn would also have to be levelled to get the full effect? 

The outdoor office has now become less of a priority as I've managed to find office space elsewhere.

The focal point in the far corner is something I had definitely forgotten to add to my draft plans. I'll have a think what would be a suitable focal point. 

At some point I'll upload my own sketch
  • GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 11
    edited November 2019

A mock up in paint. 

A larger patio area enclosed in a low wall and boxus , with built in seating.
    The wall also curves around the close edge of the pond (so my kids don't go for a swim) containing a bog garden. 

Shed and bins down the side of the house.

Dark green are mixed borders where i'll make serious effort to improve the soil. Trying to leave the borders as deep as possible. Top left corner will be the shadiest patch, which i'll dedicate to woodland/hedgerow planting, with the right side of the garden receiving the most sun. I've never attempted a large mixed border - so will be a learning curve. 

A purple/pollinator patch with alliums and perrenials enclosed in lavender hedging.

A gated arch with climbing roses will hopefully stop my dog dumping on the lawn.

A small bench or table on the circle patio overlooking the pond so I can hide from the wife.

I'm still leaning towards a birch. So I was thinking a smaller Himalayan variety, multi stemmed in the far corner might act as a nice focal point if framed correctly. The developers have already planted one in the neighbors front lawn.
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 146
    My garden is similar ground conditions to yours... I've just planted an Alnus incana "Aurea" .. hopefully it will suck up some moisture!?
  • Greenbird said:

A gated arch with climbing roses will hopefully stop my dog dumping on the lawn.

This made me laugh.... good practical advice.