Forum home Garden design

New Build - Ideas Welcome

13»

• GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 189
    edited November 2019

A mock up in paint. 

A larger patio area enclosed in a low wall and boxus , with built in seating.
    The wall also curves around the close edge of the pond (so my kids don't go for a swim) containing a bog garden. 

Shed and bins down the side of the house.

Dark green are mixed borders where i'll make serious effort to improve the soil. Trying to leave the borders as deep as possible. Top left corner will be the shadiest patch, which i'll dedicate to woodland/hedgerow planting, with the right side of the garden receiving the most sun. I've never attempted a large mixed border - so will be a learning curve. 

A purple/pollinator patch with alliums and perrenials enclosed in lavender hedging.

A gated arch with climbing roses will hopefully stop my dog dumping on the lawn.

A small bench or table on the circle patio overlooking the pond so I can hide from the wife.

I'm still leaning towards a birch. So I was thinking a smaller Himalayan variety, multi stemmed in the far corner might act as a nice focal point if framed correctly. The developers have already planted one in the neighbors front lawn.
  • Greenbird said:

A gated arch with climbing roses will hopefully stop my dog dumping on the lawn.

This made me laugh.... good practical advice.
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 323
    Hello Greenbird.  Great ideas!  Maybe assess the plants and shrubs you have brought from your old garden and put (still in their pots) them in places that you think they could go.  You can then change them around.  Then add plants, shrubs and bulbs from there as you go.  It takes a few years to establish the sort of garden you would like. Other features like lawns, paving, water should fall into place.  You'll have many sweet dreams and ideas at 3am!!!  They're the best!! 
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 189
    Well on the way to landscaping this garden. 

Hoping it's in a state for photographs by July, then it's just a matter waiting for everything to grow.