pollycarbonate greenhouse

any advise on best pollycarbonate green houses it will be secured to a concrete base at top of my garden there was one there years ago but long before in lived here . it will be over hung by trees . hazel i have cut this back ash and sycamore . woodland behind metal shed to front 4 ft wall to the back it will get covered in leaves . it does get very windy in south wales price range £300 to £450 .. all ideas wellcome thank you .

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,351
    I don't like them. They're not long lived and often , quite literally , blow apart. 
    I'd have a look on freecycle and see if you can pick a real one up " to be dismantled and removed" .
    Often folk move into a house which has a greenhouse and they don't want it , and just want someone to come and take it away.
    Devon.
  • alun6alun6 Posts: 13
    thanks i will have a look great idea .
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,745
    If you’re in a windy area I wouldn’t waste the money. I was thinking of buying one a few years ago but even the people selling them said they wouldn’t sell one to me because it would blow apart, the panels pop out for a pass time. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Even forgetting the wind for a moment, the panels will deteriorate relatively quickly.  Whilst they may appear cheaper in the first instance, better to spend a little more and save in the long term.  
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,351
    If you're prepared to pay that money, you might even get on on freecycle and be able to pay someone to dismantle/ rebuild it for  you ? 
    I've seen 8x6 greenhouses ( sometimes bigger too ) offered almost every time I look around our local freecycle sites.
    Devon.
  • I once bought a 50 x 20 foot at auction from a local estate.  By the time I'd had it delivered and erected, I still thought it a bargain.
    Unfortunately, it was a horrendous winter ( '85 I think ) and I struggled to do the block walling round the base.
    Got a few years of enjoyment out of it tho - worth it at the time :)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,737
    There's been quite a few glass/aluminium greenhouses on Gumtree recently in South Wales. I've got a search alert set and they're popping up every couple of days. Some need a bit of work but there's been some really tidy ones for less than your budget too.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,745
    Your local glazier will cut the glass panes to fit for you if you buy one with some missing or cracked 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• rak_orak_o WorcestershirePosts: 2
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and gardening overall but decided to share with you our experience with polycarbonate greenhouse. This spring we ordered a budget version of it. And no regrets. https://www.summergardenbuildings.co.uk/products/greenhouses/greenhouse-30201080.html Though, we made a mistake of deciding to install it ourselves. It was a three days job for two and three people.:( So, our advice, spend a little bit extra on their installation. It is a cheap and affordable product. During summer when we had a serious storm with wind three side sheets popped out. That was easily fixed by fixing sheets in the middle to the horizontal rail with spare screws and rubber washers. Generally, you do not screw these sheets. The overall frame was properly anchored and stayed in place. I can't tell you how long polycarbonate greenhouses last but it did a job for us in the first year. We had lots of cherry tomatoes and some french beans despite cool and wet summer. Before this, I had a glass greenhouse. If I have to order again, it will be a polycarbonate greenhouse, bigger than our current 6' x 8'. What I will do differently, I will have a perfectly leveled concrete foundation rather than a current plastic grid with gravel in it. And finally here is picture of my greenhouse.   
    Joanna
  • alun6alun6 Posts: 13
    all your ideas a brilliant tons of food for thought i thank you all ..