wide range of funky fence designs, please.

FireFire LondonPosts: 5,481
I'm looking to replace a fence and I'd like to see a gallery of recent design options. I'm thinking of one that ideally gives screening for privacy but has low spaces for wildlife to move through. Or some fence inspirations - mind widening. Are there any great innovative fence design companies/ inspirers out there?

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,586
    edited 13 November
    The ‘fence design companies’ over here are usually the metal workshops, corten steel in particular is huge. I have seen fences, screens, gates and all sorts of plant furniture curved, folded, perforated, laser-cut into any design imaginable. I recall one fence that was a curving stone base wall, higher at one end than the other, with corten steel perforated panels on top, cut to fit the curve. 

These are often designed and specified by architects, but if you have your own design and measurements you can work directly with the workshop. Would there be something similar in the UK? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,677
    There’s a house down the road with a 7’ metal fence (iron railings sort of style). It lets the light (and the hedgehogs)  into the garden and allows us to see their lovely planting, but it does look a little odd in a 1960/70s suburban cul de sac. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    We have some of those round here @Dovefromabove. 'Flat' railings- is that the same ones? I think they look awful - like osmething you see round an industrial estate to keep out interlopers. The one I see regularly is white, and it just looks strange.
    Each to their own though...
    Perhaps do a few sketches @Fire, and then look at what materials will suit you and the budget. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,677
    @Fairygirl I’m hoping they may grow some rambly tangly clematis over it ... but somehow I doubt it ... it’s a ‘very tidy’ garden.  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    This one is completely devoid of anything @Dovefromabove . Sticks out like a sore thumb...
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes some can be very industrial looking, but I was thinking something more delicate/organic, like these corten shutters:

This one is rather crude, but twisted/wavy steam-bent timber might look good, adjust gaps to suit hog girth:

I think this defo qualifies  as funky:

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,737
    I have a real love of gabion basket fences. Type it into Google images and you'll see a ton of different ways of using them. I've seen them with all kinds of different fillings from fancy stone to log sections or recycled materials, and even left as free standing panels with gaps for trees in between. I went somewhere that had a maze built of them using big chucks of blue melted down recycled glass, it looked amazing.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965
    Cedar slatted fences look nice 
    Image result for western red cedar slatted fence
    https://www.silvatimber.co.uk/fencing.html