Forum home The potting shed

A good strong cuppa

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,661
I drink a lot of tea - about 10-12 large mugs a day and I like it strong with a dash of milk. The perfect colour for me is a golden rust.
I use a Brita water filter which does make a big difference.
I want to stop using tea bags due to the plastic content in the bags, which I've been putting on the compost heap for years.
I usually buy Waitrose Gold tea bags.
I bought some Assam loose tea the other day and used a mesh filter that sits inside my mug, but even with 2 t-spoons per mug and leaving it to brew for 5 mins. it seems to have little flavour, just a lot more tannin.

Any suggestions fellow diggers for a good strong, tasty loose leaf tea?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,909
    Hit up my dealer, Dave. He'll hook you up with the best herb ;)

Seriously though he's a really nice and helpful guy. Give him a call and he'll recommend something to suit you. I only drink green so can't help sorry. The great thing with the loose leaf teas he sells is that you'll get 4 or 5 brews from the same leaves so it works out a lot cheaper than you think. I'm currently drinking brew number 4 of a very nice popcorn green genmaicha :)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,200
    Waitrose gold comes in loose-leaf, according to their website. If they don't have it in your branch you could probably get it on click-and-collect. For myself, it has to be Yorkshire Tea.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Try Broken Orange Pekoe tea.   It can be bought online if you can't find it in the shops.
    SW Scotland
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,300
    Yorkshire Tea for me as well, so strong you can stand the spoon in it.  I use bags, but you can buy a loose leaf version. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,661
    edited November 2019
    JennyJ said:
    Waitrose gold comes in loose-leaf, according to their website. If they don't have it in your branch you could probably get it on click-and-collect. For myself, it has to be Yorkshire Tea.
    oops - I spent ages looking at the vast array of teas they sell before going for the Assam. A case of not seeing the wood.... Thanks @JennyJ I'll have a look in the week.

Your dealer has a good choice on offer @wild edges :) - much better than my dealer :smile:
    I may try something different and he has a lot of choice. Thanks for the recommendation.

I do like Yorkshire tea, so will give that a try in its loose form.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
    I'm sure I'll be bag-free very soon

• B3B3 Posts: 13,169
    Boiled dead leaves and cow juice😝
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,661
    B3 said:
    Boiled dead leaves and cow juice😝
    mmmm Delicious  :smiley:
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,394
    Coffee all day for me and filtered, not capsules or instant.   leaded before 1pm and then switch to decaf.   I probably frink about 2 cups of Darjeeling year and, for the "pause-café" at Patch I take a tea bag with mint and liquorice.   Love it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,340
    Yorkshire tea  loose leaf.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I didnt realise there was plastic in the actual bags,will have a rethink when they are all used. Percolated coffee for me,grinding the beans first thing in the morning......love it!

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.