A good strong cuppa

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750
I drink a lot of tea - about 10-12 large mugs a day and I like it strong with a dash of milk. The perfect colour for me is a golden rust.
I use a Brita water filter which does make a big difference.
I want to stop using tea bags due to the plastic content in the bags, which I've been putting on the compost heap for years.
I usually buy Waitrose Gold tea bags.
I bought some Assam loose tea the other day and used a mesh filter that sits inside my mug, but even with 2 t-spoons per mug and leaving it to brew for 5 mins. it seems to have little flavour, just a lot more tannin.

Any suggestions fellow diggers for a good strong, tasty loose leaf tea?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,688
    Hit up my dealer, Dave. He'll hook you up with the best herb ;)

Seriously though he's a really nice and helpful guy. Give him a call and he'll recommend something to suit you. I only drink green so can't help sorry. The great thing with the loose leaf teas he sells is that you'll get 4 or 5 brews from the same leaves so it works out a lot cheaper than you think. I'm currently drinking brew number 4 of a very nice popcorn green genmaicha :)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    Waitrose gold comes in loose-leaf, according to their website. If they don't have it in your branch you could probably get it on click-and-collect. For myself, it has to be Yorkshire Tea.
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 60
    12 a day!

I've just started using PG tips granules as they're handy for work... surprisingly good.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,367
    Try Broken Orange Pekoe tea.   It can be bought online if you can't find it in the shops.
    SW Scotland
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,936
    Yorkshire Tea for me as well, so strong you can stand the spoon in it.  I use bags, but you can buy a loose leaf version. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750
    edited 11 November
    JennyJ said:
    Waitrose gold comes in loose-leaf, according to their website. If they don't have it in your branch you could probably get it on click-and-collect. For myself, it has to be Yorkshire Tea.
    oops - I spent ages looking at the vast array of teas they sell before going for the Assam. A case of not seeing the wood.... Thanks @JennyJ I'll have a look in the week.

Your dealer has a good choice on offer @wild edges :) - much better than my dealer :smile:
    I may try something different and he has a lot of choice. Thanks for the recommendation.

I do like Yorkshire tea, so will give that a try in its loose form.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
    I'm sure I'll be bag-free very soon

• B3B3 Posts: 10,520
    Boiled dead leaves and cow juice😝
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750
    B3 said:
    Boiled dead leaves and cow juice😝
    mmmm Delicious  :smiley:
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,141
    Coffee all day for me and filtered, not capsules or instant.   leaded before 1pm and then switch to decaf.   I probably frink about 2 cups of Darjeeling year and, for the "pause-café" at Patch I take a tea bag with mint and liquorice.   Love it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,630
    Yorkshire tea  loose leaf.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3