North facing garden for a bungalow

bugbugbugbug DorsetPosts: 8
Hi all,
We are lucky enough to be able to by our first house and have found a lovely bungalow. Looks like the front garden is facing south and the back - north. Kitchen and lounge are at the back of the house. Has anyone had any experience with north facing garden? All nearby properties are bungalows, so no shade from neighbours. There are no large trees at the back of the garden. I think garden is around 50 feet in length. The current property we live in (bungalow) has a north facing front garden and all plants, especially roses seem to love it. I would appreciate any feedback. We are so excited about this house, I would hate for this to be a dealbreaker...

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,028
    My back garden is north facing and at the back of a semi but the veg plots are far enough away from the house to avoid the shadow and I've grown just about everything over the years, so I don't think it will be a problem with a bungalow. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,379
    I agree.  As long as you have a sunny bit for things which need it, you'll be fine.  My previous garden was on a NE slope - I had to find the sunniest bit for the fruit & veg, but there are loads of plants which grow better in shade than in full sun.  You can see it as an opportunity rather than a problem... think of all the lovely plants which grow in shady spots - foxgloves, primroses, hellebores, geraniums, ferns...   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • As Liriodendron says, there are as many lovely plants which would enjoy a north aspect as opposed to south.
    Improving the soil if necessary will give you a head start.  Also checking with your neighbours who have the same orientation as to what does well for them.
    If the bungalow suits your requirements, it is usually easier to alter the garden to your taste than it is the house ;
    Best of luck with the purchase :)

• bugbugbugbug DorsetPosts: 8
    Many thanks all for all the positive comments. 😊
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,544
    ..I live in a bungalow with a north facing side and grow roses in it.. David Austin's are especially successful I find.... don't worry about it... especially in Dorset... if you were way up north then maybe not... 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,574
    I also live in a bungalow with a north facing front garden, my Hostas are there, but also hydrangeas, roses, bergenia, Astrantia, geraniums, oh, lots of others they all seen fine, go for what you like and what suits your type of soil. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• We live in a bungalow with north facing garden. The garden gets plenty of sun light as we have no trees. I normally have difficulty keeping my plants watered during hot spells, other than that everything  grows well, even raspberries which fruit almost all summer long. 
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,950
    You'll relish the north aspect in a hot summer! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    Most people see a northerly aspect as a problem, but it needn't be. Unless there are very high hedges/trees/buildings on all sides, you'll get areas of sun somewhere. 
    It's not a problem planting in that aspect either. You'll get lots of further suggestions on the forum for suitable shrubs, trees and perennials when you're ready   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,981
    Loads of potential but the first thing to do is to wait and see - spend the first full growing season watching and waiting to see what comes up - bulbs, herbaceous perennials - and how shrubs perform and take loads of pictures from the same angles thru the season.  Just keep on top of obvious weeds and and lawn mowing.

Note what you like, what you don't and where the sun gets to.  In summer, in a bungalow, there won't be much that doesn't get some sun.  Think also about how you want to use the garden - places to sit, eat, entertain; play area for kids or pets; fruit and veg or just ornamentals and make lists - sunny terrace/seating area?  shaded arbour/pergola?  greenhouse? veggies? herbs? climbers?  wildlife area? colours? perfume?

Then you can plan any changes you need to make immediately or over time depending on budget and time available.   Your soil will dictate which plants can and can't be grown - no use planting rhodos in alkaline soil for example - but other than that there'll be plenty that will do well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw