Forum home Problem solving

York

2»

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,586
    And of course there’s always the chocolate museum.😋
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671
    Thanks all for your help and comments in what to do and see looking forward to going for a holiday.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,787
    I found this place using google.  Might be an interesting visit.  It's an organic community garden and plant centre so even if the range of plants turns out not to be special you will be supporting a good enterprise - https://www.brunswickyork.org.uk/ 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,238
    I used to live in York and there are some very good gardens, garden centres, nurseries etc round and about but (with the possible exception of some of the large estate gardens) I don't think any of them are worth visiting at this time of year. GC's tend to be full of 'seasonal' stuff and the small gardens and nurseries are closed. Not sure if 'Breezy Knees, garden and nursery is open at this time of year (about 5 miles from York). Not been myself but I've heard it's good. 

My favourite museums are probably the Yorvik and Castle Museums (good for families) and the Minster is definitely worth a visit. If you're interested, you can sometimes visit the stained glass conservation workshop for a free look at the projects they're working on and learn the techniques used.

Other than that the City Walls, the Railway Museum and just generally ambling around the city and enjoying the lovely old streets is the way to go. Lots of places to eat and drink. Do a bit of Trip Advisor 'research' to find the best ones and avoid the tourist traps.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,100
    Breezy Knees would be recommended by me too, but it closes at the end of September unfortunately. 
    Wish l was visiting York, l have a soft spot for that place !
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Thirsk Garden Centre, about 20 miles from York.
    Helmsley Walled Garden 12 miles from Thirsk
    Moorlands nature reserve, jsut outside York at Skelton
     https://www.ywt.org.uk/nature-reserves/moorlands-nature-reserve
    The Yorkshire Arboretum
    http://www.yorkshirearboretum.org/

5 days might not be long enough. There is such a lot to see and do in the area.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • OmoriOmori The NorthPosts: 1,127
    York is wonderful, slightly biased as I live here.

Minster definitely, the full tour including the tower is worthwhile, but the steps are quite intense. You can choose a tour without the tower if that is too much for members of your party. Apparently it costs something like £23,000/day to run York Minster so the ticket prices are well worth it.

Castle Howard is worth a visit either by bus or car.

York Museum Garden which has the medieval ruins of St. Mary's Abbey, and is in the centre so easy to visit.

Walking the walls, and there are various tours you could go on if you'd like more historical information.

Ye Olde Starr Inne which is York's oldest pub (1644), also in the centre.

Railway Museum if you and yours are interested.

Tons more...just some ideas.