Sparrows' nests

B3B3 Posts: 10,409
There's a flock of sparrows living in the eaves of next door's house. (Well I think they are)
Would they all have individual nests under there? Would they use them in winter or are they just for eggs?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,086
    Sparrows like to nest next to each other, which is why blue tit boxes or other bird boxes are rarely used. Mostly they roost together in trees/bushes, but if the weather is very bad they might use nest sites.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 715
    Next door to us sparrows nest in the tiled roof of an outhouse, they are around there all year, and take the feed we put out.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,409
    Are there lots of separate nests in the winter or do they roost together outside the nest for warmth etc? At nesting time, is there a clutch of separate nests?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,981
    We have a group of sparros living nder the roof tiles of the ex donket shed and they seem to stay around all year.  There's another group of them under the eaves on the east side.   We had loads of them nesting in the eaves of the Belgian house and also roosting in the barn in winter.   They like to nest and roost in groups - sociability, security, warmth I expect. 

Being too large to get under the eaves I can't tell you if they use the nests all year or just for breeding.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Do you have a periscope knocking about?
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 583
    Obelixx said:
    We have a group of sparros living nder the roof tiles of the ex donket shed and they seem to stay around all year.  There's another group of them under the eaves on the east side.   We had loads of them nesting in the eaves of the Belgian house and also roosting in the barn in winter.   They like to nest and roost in groups - sociability, security, warmth I expect. 

Being too large to get under the eaves I can't tell you if they use the nests all year or just for breeding.   
    But with your new wildlife camera you might be able to set it on a ladder to tell you!

We have built terraces of bird boxes for the sparrows, so individual nests, but side by side.  And others have built nests on tope of the boxes, so turning into a high rise sparrow block of flats.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,658
    Obelixx said:
    We have a group of sparros living nder the roof tiles of the ex donket shed and they seem to stay around all year.  
    Are sparros and donkets peculiar to your part of France?  :D
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,645
    B3 said:
    Are there lots of separate nests in the winter or do they roost together outside the nest for warmth etc? At nesting time, is there a clutch of separate nests?
    I've got a small group that roost inside one of my bat boxes. I've always been curious about how many of them can fit in there though. They will roost in groups in conifers or ivy so a bat box is probably similar to that sort of situation.
    For breeding they like to be in colonies and the nests can be side by side but they don't seem to mind if the next nest is in next door's roof either. I've got a pair that nest in my roof while ignoring my fancy sparrow terrace box and there's 4 or 5 pairs in neighbouring houses too. They all come together to feed as a small flock though.
    Thanks @wild edges
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    I doubt if there are any purpose built nest boxes round here, but there's certainly loads of conifer, ivy, hedging, so they must have plenty of cover judging by the amount we have. 
    They're just sticking two fingers/claws up at you @wild edges. ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....