Replacing a Salvia

floraliesfloralies Posts: 525
I want to replace Salvia x Sylvestris Caradonna with another Salvia. Caradonna I have found to be an under performer here even with dead-heading. I was wondering whether Salvia Pretensis might be better? Does anyone grow these, and if so do they continue flowering with dead-heading?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,738
    There was a thread a while back with some suggestions
    I replaced my Caradonna with Mainacht which I think is a far better variety
    The previous thread and a pic of Mainacht - 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1026128/good-salvia-and-penstemon-variety-suggestions/p1

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 525
    Thanks @Pete.8 I had completely forgotten that thread! I wonder how @Nollie got on this year with Mainacht as we have similar climates.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,738
    My Mainacht has been planted for 3 ish years now and will need dividing next spring as it's getting a bit crowded - I'm still very pleased with it.
    Another one I grow is S. Patens - easy from seed and a hue of blue that really stands out. It doesn't get masses of flower spikes but goes on flowering from mid-summer until the frost gets them.
    Some return the following year, some don't.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,517
    Hi @floralies, not too well, unfortunately. I bought 6 plants from promesse de fleurs. They were not exactly quality plants, arrived in poor condition, got bad mildew, languished, two or three survived but few flowers. The odd flower I did get early on was lovely though and I was pleased initially, but they just never really thrived. Perhaps they will come back better next year. I should have really complained, but my non-existent French wasn’t up to it! Don’t let that put you off, I am willing to try it again if I can find another online supplier that will post here.

I am also going to try S. Verticillata Purple Rain next year - @WillDB grows it and said it reflowers well. Slightly more muted colour, perhaps, but I like the whorls of flowers up the stems. 
    That is very unusual for Promesse de Fleurs @Nollie, their plants are usually very good. Interesting though about Mainacht. Here is a link to another site I have found but not used them.
    https://www.senteursduquercy.com/4-sauges
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,950
    edited 8 November
    Salvia v. 'Purple Rain' is great!

I still do like Caradonna though, even if the flowering period is a bit short. Mine go over by mid July at the latest and then look a bit scruffy after this. I took this in mid October on one of our sites; that's Salvia Caradonna behind the Geranium Rozanne. I don't know whether its reflowering or has had flowering delayed somehow. Next year I am going to cut my Caradonnas right down to the ground as soon as the flowers start going over.

I also tried Ostfriesland this year; not as elegant as Caradonna IMO, and not any longer flowering for me.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,517
    I ordered some Agastache Blue Boa from PDF at the same time and those turned out fine, floralies. I wonder if the Mainacht were just old stock that had been languishing on a shelf for a few years. I did place a later order with them and they weren’t great either, only one of the penstemon ravens made it til the end of summer, but it was a very harsh and hot summer to be planting anything so I may be unfairly judging PDF. I hope so as they have so many plants I want!

Have you ever used Leaderplant? They have Mainacht too.

I don’t think there is a salvia to rival the purple colour of Caradonna, a lot of ‘purples’ turn out more pink for me, so I am going to keep some clumps, but thin them out and plant something more blue-toned to take over.

@WillDB, I have the odd flower spike on Caradonna now, but mine are over faster than yours and are just a boring blob of uninteresting foliage for most of the summer. Perhaps a total chop after the first flowering would work better than deadheading individual spikes, I will try that next year.
    Lovely pic @WillDB. I had thought of trying Salvia Pratensis next year - a different one all together. It's trial and error as with all plants! Hardy Geraniums do very poorly in our hot sun down here.
  • Yay, my thread! I was happy with the £4.99 Mainacht I got at B&M, it flowered for a decent length of time, considering it was newly planted. 

What do you do with salvias this time of year, do they need cutting back or just leaving as they are?
    I leave the top growth on all mine over winter to protect from from frost etc, and prune back in spring when new growth appears.