Pineapple Lilies not flowering

I had a couple of pineapple lilies in pots this summer and neither flowered - one I’ve had a couple of years with great success and the other was new.  Both produced lovely foliage, but had no flowers.   Question is, are they worth keeping for next year and if so, what should I do differently.  (Both are in multipurpose compost in very sunny spots and were regularly fed with liquid feed).

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    There could be several reasons @Susie24. The bulbs might have been too small to be productive yet, or you may have been overfeeding, which produces a lot of foliage at the expense of flowers, or you may have been overwatering, and the bulb is rotting. 

Did the one you've had for a while, flower in the past? If so, it would have needed new compost each year to give it enough sustenance. Multipurpose compost isn't enough to sustain a plant in a pot long term. It possibly needs repotting too, as there will be a larger rootball and very little soil around it. 
    They aren't totally hardy - do you overwinter them undercover?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Susie24Susie24 Posts: 2
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.  The one I’ve had for a while has always flowered very well, but does need repotting so I think I’ll do that and change my plant food next year. (They are outside over winter, but I’m on the south coast so winters are pretty mild).
  • I've grown these in the ground ( SW UK ) but whilst some varieties flowered reliably every year, some appeared rather reluctant.
    As Fairy said, there could be more than one reason for the lack of flowers.  I never particularly fed mine tho I did top dress every year.
    Some of these plants are just sent to try us I think ;)