Where can I buy a soil for palm tree in London, near Balham?

Please, where can I buy a soil for palm tree in London, near Balham? I mean the proper soil which will include sand and everything what the soil needs. Not just and only some hummus / "vitamins".

I would like to buy it in a local shop in person because if I would buy it on online shop it is so expensive for the postage because it is heavy.

I have windmill palm tree.

Many thanks

• okeroker Posts: 16
    edited 7 November
    P.S. I've asked question in Homebase but they did not have it.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273
    Maybe ask at the Palm Centre in Kew.

https://www.palmcentre.co.uk/other-garden-sundries

They are very knowledgeable and friendly.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Yes, I already checked this their website but I did not find it there. But I am not any expert about gardening. So, maybe that's why I did not find it there. And you? If yes, please, can you post here the link about this product? Many thanks.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273
    I’m very far from being an expert on anything.😊

I just thought if you gave them a call they might be able to suggest something.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,741
    I assume you're referring to Trachycarpus fortunei when you quote 'Windmill Palm' ?
    If you're planning on growing it in a pot it won't thrive for many years ; they need plenty of root-space .
    Regarding soil requisites , they're fairly amenable as long as it's not sticky clay ; pH is not particularly important .
    This may help you discover your soil-type .

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,950
    John Innes no. 3 would be ideal; it doesn't have to specific palm tree compost.

John Innes no. 3 contains sand, loam and nutrients and is better for long term container planting than usual 'multipurpose' compost.
    OK, I will try John Innes no. 3.
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/westland-john-innes-number-3-mature-plant-compost-35l_p502123

Yes, Trachycarpus fortunei.

Yes, a pot, but just for the next one or two years. Then, if I find a place where I can have my music studio, then I'll put it into ground / land.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,007
    edited 8 November
    " Oh!! so they speak French in Balham, but not Latin?"
    Devon.
    Thanks to everyone! I've bought John Innes no. 3. Let's hope the palm will survive the winter.
    It's a shame they do not have a special soil for palms in London.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,981
    This tree is hardy and does not need special soil to grow well in the UK as longa s it' sshleterd form extremes of wind and frost -  https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/18291/Trachycarpus-fortunei/Details

The John Innes compost will be fine but the nutrients in any planting medium/compost are only good for about 90 days so you will need to feed it next spring with a dollop of some slow release fertilsier suitable for leafy plants or regular liquid feeds from spring to mid July in between normal waterings.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw