How to get rid of Ramaria Stricta????

Hello 
 New here and desperate for help!
we have Rameria Stricta (Coral fungus) growing like wildfire under our trees and on top of wood chip & leaves. It gets worse every year we know the cause which we can change but how can we get rid of this now so it just doesn’t grow back ??  Is there a fungicide that anyone can recommend! Hope someone can help please it’s so ugly !!

Thanks
natalie

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 486
    Why not just remove the mulch and thus remove it? Using fungicides for aesthetic purposes seems really unnecessary. If you need a fungicide...you're always better off picking a different plant, location or cultivation conditions. It's not a long term solution. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,347
    edited 7 November
    Hello @Natalie.hernandez and welcome to the forum 😊 

If you remove whatever it’s feeding on (the mulch ?) it’ll stop growing. 

The use of fungicides is causing concern in medical circles and I would not advise using them just for aesthetic reasons. See an earlier thread ...

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1030843/fungicide-worries/p1

If I didn’t like the look of the fungi I’d use a Dutch hoe and then rake/sweep them up and bin them. 

However I don’t find their appearance unpleasant ... they’re just part of nature’s varied autumn display ... they don’t last long and while they’re here they provide food for wildlife. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273
    edited 7 November
    Well, it’s true what they say about beauty and eyes of beholders. I think they look cute.

Anyway, to get back to your question.

First of all, I suppose that you accept the fact that everything has a purpose in life?

OK, so secondly, nothing is immortal?

Fine, so now what happens to non-immortal things? They die.

And what happens to dead things if nobody removes them? They pile up in an enormous heap.

So what I am trying to say is this. Fungi are the street sweepers of the natural world. They tidy stuff up that would otherwise be lying in pile as high as Everest.

Right now these little jobbies are breaking down dead wood. They are doing it quietly and without fuss and without involving monetary outlay on your part.

You might as well ask how to get rid of earthworms and burying beetles and woodlice.

(Please don’t say that you want to get rid of those too)😕

Enjoy them. They are part of nature. When they have done their job they will disappear.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    I like it.  :)
    If you don't like it, you can do as @Dovefromabove describes, or perhaps look at growing some groundcover under the trees. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Many thanks for your comments  I respect your views however , despite their benefit,  over 7 years this fungus has never just died  and disappeared even when left alone completely until mid Spring, it’s never happened. We’ve had to rake it out and then it grows and spreads twofold year on year .

As someone has said beauty is in the eye of the beholder and whilst I have some fungi that I’m happy to see , this coral fungi is taking over a lovely wood part of our garden and in my eye is very very ugly and distracting.

thank you for your views if there’s anyone else out there with more tips of how to get rid of it ( not the benefits of keeping it - we don’t like or want it ) I would really appreciate how to remove it quickly and permanently ( at least for this year ) .
    thank you 
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,950
    edited 7 November
    I don't think you can just 'get rid of it' other than removing the dead wood it's feeding on (are there buried, dead, tree roots or is it feeding on the decomposing mulch?) I would do that if feasible, and plant up the space it's growing in with shrubs and groundcover as FG suggests.

I guess whatever its feeding on will eventually be depleted and it will naturally die out by itself, but if there's a dead tree root system that could take a while.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    Whereabout are you @Natalie.hernandez?
    Considering it likes coniferous ground, I've never seen it, and we are a very 'coniferous' country up here.
    The ground looks quite dry, which makes me wonder if that's why we don't see it round here, although it looks  quite 'normal' otherwise. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,347
    edited 7 November
    The website below indicates that it’s becoming prevalent on areas of woodchip mulch (scroll down to Habitat). As most woodchip comes from softwood (pine/spruce) I suspect that’s your problem. 

Dig out the mulch and I think it’ll fade away quite quickly. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks , we’ll try that . Good advice.
  • WillDB you are spot on . The fungi is spreading across an area where there were 2 dead trees that we had to take out so maybe roots are still there , we’ve laid a lot of mulch for asthetics as we can’t find anything to grow under the trees ( it’s not a very deep area as the houses are new builds and filled with rubble ) we’ve tried rhododendrons but none grew as it’s very shady , any other easy suggestions of what might grow under shade trees with paved that drop a lot ?? The pictures show the area affected as well as the last picture which is in the same space but with no fungi . I’ve also shown of where we’ve removed some fungi right back just to soil it n top of the top of the plastic underlay ( to stop weeds coming through which works ) so maybe we clear out all the fungi leaves and mulch and just lay fresh soil until the spring .