Forum home Plants

Shrub ID?

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,879
    Privet, something like Silver Star or Jack frost, maybe, is a distinct possibility, @Borderline. @Hostafan1 more waxy like Daphne, but not as thick and more a gentle sheen than glossy, about 2cm long, not toothed but slightly irregular tips. i would post some more leaf close-ups but internet is going funny and won’t let me. @Silver surfer its possibly something not common in the UK and it would be so much easier if I had a pic of the flowers, which I am now struggling to remember, as you barely notice them. May have to wait ‘till next year to resolve the mystery!
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,806
    I think it's one of the variegated Jasmine's..
    ..either variegated Confederate Jasmine or the variegated Asiatic version...

Thanks @Marlorena, the leaves do looks very like that, but it’s a large, woody shrub so probably unlikely. Who knew there were so many variegated shrubs! I am going cross-eyed looking on the internet. Here’s a pic of the back of it, it’s on a higher terrace, draping down to the border below, plus a front-on pic, with the dog and wheelbarrow for scale:

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,299
    edited November 2019
    Still no better ideas on your shrub @Nollie, but that one at the front in the last pic is Caninus woolycoatius....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

That Caninus Woollycoatius is pretty high maintenance @Fairygirl, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you like arduous pruning four times a year. Nor if you value your shoes, either :D

As for the shrub, it’s a puzzle as they don’t really do out of the ordinary stuff around here. Next time I go the GC I will take the photos and even a branch with me (needs a good chopping back) and see if anyone recognises it.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 1,676
    edited November 2019
    Have you tried to crush a leaf?
    Any scent?

Even with new pics I am struggling to see if leaves are opposite or alternate.
    Can you find a twig and take close up pic...not of the tips which are very congested but a little lower down.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=1378C86CA3BEF62AAE5BE96C5CFD2EA1C0CB0C60&thid=OIP.4vvv7hlr64UTQ67BpgpqCgHaHJ&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-w40KpBlhb7A%2FUP9oGj8QRHI%2FAAAAAAAAAGg%2FzG2N_KY4fSQ%2Fs1600%2Fopposite_alternate.gif&exph=438&expw=454&q=opposite+alternate+leaves&selectedindex=2&ajaxhist=0&vt=1&ccid=J%2F0kuaLu&simid=608053826594473699

Leaves so look like Euonymus sp...but leaves on Euonymus are opposite.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Hi @Silver surfer, sorry, I can see this one is really going to bug you! No scent to the leaf when crushed and I don’t recall any scent when in flower either. This is the best I can do re opposite/alternate (can take better pic tomorrow)... more alternate/all around the stem at irregular intervals?

• Could it be a Pittosporum @Nollie?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,299
    Nollie said:
    That Caninus Woollycoatius is pretty high maintenance @Fairygirl, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you like arduous pruning four times a year. Nor if you value your shoes, either :D

I can imagine  ;)
    The shrub has such a hefty framework too - I felt it couldn't be Euonymous, but I have no idea.
    Would Pittosporums have that weight of timber too @floralies? I have very little experience of those either, as they aren't the hardiest here.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes @Fairygirl I think some varieties grow to large shrubs and trees!