Shrub ID?

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,517
Can anyone remind me what this shrub is please? Someone asked me the other day but I had a senior moment. Euonymus rings a bell, but that could be something else entirely. New growth is cream then it turns variegated:

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    Eleagnus?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,230
    Looks like a Pieris shrub. Maybe Pieris Japonica 'Variegata'?
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 351
    Looks like Euonymus japonicus 'Bravo'

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/63943/Euonymus-japonicus-Bravo-(v)/Details
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,517
    Hmm, thanks, good suggestions, but not sure, it’s a huge shrub, leaves are quite small, flowers (in summer) are tiny and creamy but not bell-shaped like eleagnus. Has a definite olive/silvery effect from a distance, does this pic help? It’s the one directly behind the salvia, engulfing the lime green conifer...

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,007
    It reminds me of a variety of Olearia, but I can't remember which
    Devon.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,028
    Whatever it is, I think you need to remove that branch with all-white growth as it looks like a sport.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,517
    Hi @BobTheGardener, no not a sport, all the young, new growth is pure cream then it starts changing to variegated. Euonymus Harlequin does that and it looks a bit like it, but mine is a far bigger shrub by several metres - and the leaves are much narrower than most variegated euonymus (and olearia) I have checked out. Never a hint of yellow in the leaves like Bravo, either.

I didn’t plant it, but saw what I thought it was in a GC last year, but frustratingly can’t remember the name now. Thanks for trying folks, will keep my eye out when doing the GC rounds and let you know if I find it!
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,230
    Looking at it again, and based on what you said about the flowers, could it be a Ligustrum, Privet? There are many types. Check the flowers online to see if they look similar.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 1,547
    I have been searching but with no luck.
    I wonder if it is a shrub you have in Spain that we do not have here.
    Please do post pics next summer to show us the flowers.
    That thick leathery leaf looks so very familiar...but the silver effect in summer does not.

OR if you get the name please tell us all.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,007
    Can I ask, are the leaves hard and waxy like a daphne, or soft like an ostoespermum?
    Devon.