Did you know?

DID YOU KNOW?
Some friendly bacteria found in the soil may act on our brain like antidepressants. Research on mice by University College London and Bristol University found that a common soil bacteria acts on brain cells to stimulate production of the ‘happy chemical’ serotonin, altering mood in a similar way to antidepressants.
So best get out in those gardens!

We all knew this intuitively, I think.  I'm never happier than when I'm pottering in the garden.  Now I have science to back me up when I spend a lot of my time out there!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,610
    Do you have to eat it to get the best result! 
  • Just don't be too particular about washing your hands after a session in the garden - all this modern thing about disinfectant wipes every time you move has at least proved to be hype..........especially if you are a mouse :D
  • I'm not totally sure that everything found in garden soil is beneficial to humans for one thing animals may use it as a toilet, mice included.
  • Aah @ barry island.  That may be why the research said the only "some" friendly bacteria may be beneficial.  I have no idea how you are supposed to filter our unwelcome contaminants.  But I live in hope of reaping the rewards!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,386
    Now I know why worms are always so cheerful and friendly.
  • Pigs love it too.