Forum home The potting shed

CURMUDGEONS ' CORNER 5 - BAH HUMBUG!🍬

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,274
    A reminder now to everyone who intends to get me a birthday present ... BUY IT NOW!!! ‘cos by the time my birthday comes around at the end of January there’s never anything left in the shops ... that’s what they tell me anyway 😭 

🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,361
    Possum's is also towards the end of January so we get to take advantage of the sales for extra value.   Works for us.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,934
    What do you fancy for your birthday @Dovefromabove;)
    I know quite a few folk with 'C'mas approaching' birthdays. Bad timing by the parents I say....  :D
    I have the same problem with mt nephews - they have February birthdays so the shops are full of Valentine cards   :/
    I'm going to stop cards - it's an outdated concept.
    Nothing to do with the price of stamps you understand....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,272
    My OH's birthday is 1st December,  his brother's on the 4th, auntie and SIL on 17th, and his dad's birthday is Christmas Day.
    I always buy their cards in September because as @KT53 says, it's impossible to get a good selection after that. In the supermarket yesterday they had loads of Halloween stuff reduced to clear. A good opportunity to save money for next year perhaps......
    My son was due on the 7th ... he arrived on the 22nd. Not my fault ... I did everything I could ... 🤒
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,361
    Raspberry leaf tea next time @Dovefromabove!!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Tried that ... used to give blackberry shoots to my goats that were due to kid. Tried everything ... double digging the new veg patch  ... even a very bumpy level crossing ... someone said he had an over inflated sense of his importance and had decided to arrive on Christmas Day ... it took two hospitals and an ambulance ride to get him to make an appearance 😝 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,893
    Fairygirl said:
    What do you fancy for your birthday @Dovefromabove;)
    I know quite a few folk with 'C'mas approaching' birthdays. Bad timing by the parents I say....  :D
    The problem is you come out of winter and women shed three layers of clothing and finally shave their legs after months of looking like a wookie and everyone's blood gets up because spring is in the air. Or blokes bought them some good chocolate for easter to make up for forgetting Valentine's day and they finally forgave him a bit. The trick is to stay in the bad books all year round. Much cheaper in the long run.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,934
    @wild edges :D

If it's really that bad - you can always nip up to the local garage for a bunch of sad carnations...that always works well....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 13,128
    Or a leftover bunch from a florist, with a card addressed to someone else lurking in the folds of the wrapping paper. That'll do it too.
    Then there's the birthday card chosen with such love and care, that he even remembered to cross out 'son' on the front.
    In London. Keen but lazy.