CURMUDGEONS ' CORNER 5 - BAH HUMBUG!🍬

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 970
    As someone with a mid December birthday, Dove, I’ll tell you what annoys me: my cards get to go up for about two days before their place is commandeered for new Christmas cards. Head office’s birthday is in June - her cards can stay up for about a month.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,688
    We always kept son’s cards up over Christmas!  And now OH and I are together the established way is that his birthday cards are displayed all together on the sideboard and the ch******s cards are displayed around the rest of the living area ... they all come down together in time for Twelfth Night. 

I think you should make a stand and start a new tradition in your house @BenCotto 😉 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,448
    OH's birthday is 7th of December and when we lived in Belgium he'd do his best to persuade me to have the tree up and decorated for St Nicholas o the 6th as that's when Belgian kids get their big prezzies.   Come Jan 1st I'd be itching to get rid but now Possum is adult and living away during term time I get to have the tree up just in time for her coming home.

My birthday is two weeks earlier so we both get to have our cards up for 2 weeks before any Xmas cards go up.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    A reminder now to everyone who intends to get me a birthday present ... BUY IT NOW!!! ‘cos by the time my birthday comes around at the end of January there’s never anything left in the shops ... that’s what they tell me anyway 😭 

🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Possum's is also towards the end of January so we get to take advantage of the sales for extra value.   Works for us.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,211
    What do you fancy for your birthday @Dovefromabove;)
    I know quite a few folk with 'C'mas approaching' birthdays. Bad timing by the parents I say....  :D
    I have the same problem with mt nephews - they have February birthdays so the shops are full of Valentine cards   :/
    I'm going to stop cards - it's an outdated concept.
    Nothing to do with the price of stamps you understand....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,484
    My OH's birthday is 1st December,  his brother's on the 4th, auntie and SIL on 17th, and his dad's birthday is Christmas Day.
    I always buy their cards in September because as @KT53 says, it's impossible to get a good selection after that. In the supermarket yesterday they had loads of Halloween stuff reduced to clear. A good opportunity to save money for next year perhaps......
    My son was due on the 7th ... he arrived on the 22nd. Not my fault ... I did everything I could ... 🤒

Raspberry leaf tea next time @Dovefromabove!!
    Tried that ... used to give blackberry shoots to my goats that were due to kid. Tried everything ... double digging the new veg patch  ... even a very bumpy level crossing ... someone said he had an over inflated sense of his importance and had decided to arrive on Christmas Day ... it took two hospitals and an ambulance ride to get him to make an appearance 😝