Forum home The potting shed

CURMUDGEONS ' CORNER 5 - BAH HUMBUG!🍬

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,271
    KT53 said:
    The 'C' word, and all associated items, should be banned until the start of December - at the earliest.
    I agree. My birthday is Dec 1st and I see no reason why anyone should be celebrating anything else that day
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,396
    A perfectly rational and logical point @Hostafan1 ... and it’s my son’s birthday on the 22/12 ... we never started C’mas until the 23rd
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,931

KT53 said:
    The 'C' word, and all associated items, should be banned until the start of December - at the earliest.
    The question is, if you want your decorations to go up on the 1st are shops allowed to sell decorations in advance so you're ready to go? I like my lights to go up on the first weekend in december but the decorations go up gradually after that. Advent calendars go up on the 30th of November obviously and then I can start my traditional moaning that my wife hasn't made me a beer advent calendar again. :|
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,395
    Over the years, Christmas tat is slowly invading Spain, spreading like an unwelcome disease. At least we don’t have bonfire night, but fireworks are still hugely popular for every conceivable saints day and fiesta. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,314
    My moan is people moaning about Christmas. If folk want to put up their decorations on November 4th what harm does it do to anyone else? I usually put up the decorations in mid December. Well, I say I but normally the gardener does it and does it with great taste. There’s not much to do in the garden at that time of year.
    @BenCotto, this is curmudgeonly corner, the whole raison d'etre is to moan.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,941
    My mum used to buy us an advent candle, so start 1st December, now she’s gone we don’t get one. Decorations go up the weekend before Christmas Day, we do that because daughter and family come to stay over for a few days, it’s a holiday for her, she works very hard with all her littluns in the run up. 
    I think if they didn't come, we wouldn’t bother with any.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,395
    Nothing wrong with xmas decs put up with ‘great taste’ @BenCotto, as ours are, of course :) However, it’s the all singing, dancing, gyrating, flashing, over-sized santa climbing up the balcony and farting as he goes that is the subject of my curmudgeon. I must have a quiet word with your gardener and sneak a few into your 2019 display so you too, can appreciate this wonderous phenomenon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 13,213
    I don't mind people putting up decorations in or outside their own home. It's listening to Santa roasting on an open fire and the little boy that santa claus forgot, whilst trying to concentrate on my shopping. Sainsbury's makes me want to scream😱 Over the years, i have on more than one occasion, abandoned my trolley and b******d off somewhere else. Waitrose and Lidl are mercifully carol -less

In London. Keen but lazy.
    @B3 we walked out of our local garden centre which was playing the worst xmas music ever. Imagine christmas songs sung by a really bad barber shop quartet who couldn't find a tenor.
    Devon.