Forum home The potting shed

RESURRECTED 86

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,797
    Hi LB it’s a box and every day of advent you put in an item for a local food bank then donate it to help people have a good Christmas. Doesn’t have to cost a lot and I think most food banks do it if you are interested? Horrible situation when in this country and in this century people cannot afford food. 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,797
    The shoebox appeal is for children abroad who otherwise wouldn’t get a Christmas. It’s a bit too religious for my taste but if it helps children I can put up with a bit of religion! 
  • RubeeRubee Posts: 6,151
    edited November 2019
    Missed you there TBird and Debs . A very good morning to you.
    Debs , I don’t think it matters if it’s a secular or religious organisation that are doing the shoe boxes as long as someone is doing it .The church down the road from us does the shoe box appeal every year .They send about sixty boxes of quality goods every Christmas . Our local sm have a trolley near the exit for people to put food in for a local food bank and that trolley is there all year round .Its so good that people are doing this . But such a pity that in a so called prosperous country that it is needed at all .
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,847
    edited November 2019
    @Chivetalking - I think @pansyface started her quilt on the 8th January 1978.... Something like that anyway... 😉🤣🤭

Just kidding Pansy🤭
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,735
    Thanks for the explanations about reverse advent calendars T'Bird and Debs. That makes sense. At my 'sco there is a foodbank that people contribute to (very generously too as it is always full). Its very easy that you can just buy some long life milk and pop it in the bank on the way out. They also have chests for a local animal charity wanting cat and dog food. Again very easy to contribute to. One other thing they do is have a second hand book shelf where you can purchase paper backs for 0.50p and hardbacks for £1. All monies raised go to local charities. Books can be dropped off by donors.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,499
    What a lovely daughter you have, debs. If only every parent could raise their children to be so kind.

It was the 6th of January actually, Topbird.😁

No, Chive, I can’t remember when I started this one. I have made quite a few in my time. All the same system of two-inch squares, just sewn into different patterns. They are all double bed sized, which means that they weigh a ton and take up a lot of space.

From time to time I give them away for raffles and so on. This one began as bits of cotton cut to size about three years ago. It’s now got to the boring bit, for me, which is the actual quilting. So it sits there and stares at me. The spiders must have set up home inside the plastic bag.

Shame to disturb them.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Morning all.  Having a quick break from leaf clearing.
    Debs, your daughter has her heart in the right place.  My GP surgery has a food bank trolley which is always well stocked.
    Pleased to hear you had a better night T'bird.
    SW Scotland
    Just sat down .Been painting the front of the breakfast bar .I am wobbly legged. Why is it so much harder to do such things as time passes?
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Patio and back steps cleared.  I love my leaf grabbers.

Rubee, I know how you feel about the wobbly legs after standing for a while. Take your time with the painting.
    SW Scotland
    Joyce  ,I will take my time . I have had enough for today . I am in no rush .