Forum home The potting shed

RESURRECTED 86

• Rebecca110Rebecca110 Posts: 1,485
    edited November 2019
    I've been having kittens about something and can now put it off for a while now.  LB I look forward to seeing your farmhouse develop with all the new characters.  MU can I see more pictures of Millicent's rooms and her story.  At school we had Izal toilet paper which we also used for tracing.  It wasn't ideal and we are spoilt with our cushioned loo paper now, thankfully.   Joyce I have my boiler service to come too.  Managed to remove myself from a furry pile up this morning.    It's a wet day and the birds have been busy feeders.  Chive hope you have a good day at work.  Lily and Runny hope you are both okay.  Lants I hope your boiler is serviced soon.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,733
    Afties SGL (you snuckered in ), Rebecca and Runners. Well its as dark as dark can be here and the rain is falling. I've had to put lights on in the house.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,847
    Afternoon 🙂. Looking very autumnal here with a watery sun and a carpet of gold and orange all over the driveway. Will have to do some leaf clearing very soon as we just keep traipsing them through the house and into the car. Messy time of year but I still quite like it.

I've been laid up this weekend with this wretched cough / cold thing. It's very draining and pretty kna**ering as it keeps me awake at night. Don't feel ill or anything - just rather sore and very tired. Not sure who's more irritated by it - me or OH🤨 I shall treat myself to a steam inhalation soon - living the good life indeed.

Not much to report. No trick or treaters last week, no fireworks heard - think local village displays were postponed on Saturday due to the heavy rain and strong winds. Perhaps they'll have them tomorrow night instead. 

Loved Millicent's little cludgie. Very similar to grandma's before their house was condemned in the mid 60's. Such a shame it's not still there - one of a group of very old and rather pretty flint built cottages which probably could have been modernised. Guess they would always have been 2' below road level though. Always amongst the first properties in Yarmouth to flood during storm surges etc. Flooded to the ceiling of the downstairs rooms in the 1953 floods and (apparently) never quite the same afterwards.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,499
    Hello Topbird. And talking of flooding - take a look at this plonker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-50266218/isle-of-wight-waves-almost-drag-man-and-child-into-sea

Talk about natural selection and survival of the fittest.🤦‍♀️

How many times and in how many ways do you have to say to people that the.....sea......is......very.......very.......dangerous.......Duh!
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Afties T'Bird. Sorry that you are still feeling a bit poorly. You are obviously not drinking enough gin! A steam inhalation sounds just the right thing for clearing the 'tubes'. I love those flint cottages. Used to enjoy seeing them when on holiday in Norfolk. I don't think I would be quite the same if I'd been flooded to my ceilings!
    Love the parlour. M-U. Are there two little Staffordshire flat back dogs there?
    PF there is always one plonker but he should never have put the little child at risk.
    He's a plonker indeed Pansy. Presumably showing off to the rest of the crowd staying safely behind the wall.

Couldn't care less what happens to him but fancy taking a child into that situation... No doubt the lifeboat crew would have been called upon to risk their lives if he'd been swept in.

I always think that idiots who deliberately put their lives at risk - whether in the sea, up a mountain, wherever - should be left to either sort themselves out or be sent a bill for the full cost of the rescue. 

Accidents and mistakes can happen to anyone - that was just mindless idiocy.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    Meant to say - nice bit of parquet MU!😁
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Will Maud be invited into the parlour M-U?
    We, in the west tend to get more rain than you but it seems t'other way this year.

T'bird, sorry to hear you are under the weather again. Hope you don't have any trips in the offing soon.

Was upcountry at uncle's and my spirits were lifted by a gorgeous display of autumn colours from the larch and beech trees.
    SW Scotland
  • RubeeRubee Posts: 6,149
    Sorry to hear that you are not well TBird . Speaking of people doing stupid things , I am with you TBird. I think people should be sent the bill for being rescued . Also people doing extreme, stupid sports , should by law have to take out insurance before they set of .