Propane/calor gas heaters and paraffin heaters, are they bad for greenhouse plants?

Hello all, I've heard conflicting opinions about the above two greenhouse heating options, with some people saying they produce fumes that are harmful to greenhouse plants.  What is the general consensus on here about this?

I'm not sure I can get electricity in the greenhouse.  Are there other heating options people would recommend if not the above?

Thanks.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,631
    As they burn they produce a lot of water vapour, ideal conditions for moulds and rot.  In winter you really need dry heat if possible. An electric fan heater on a thermostat is the best option.  When I had a paraffin heater, it always ran out in the worst frosts.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,752
    and with paraffin, if you don't keep your wick trimmed you may come down to a greenhouse with glass covered in a layer of black soot - which is no good for the plants, or the spirit on a cold winter morning - as I know from many years ago :)

As fidget says, electric is by far the best, but a fan must be suitable for use in a greenhouse environment.
    The Tubular heating pipes do help, but won't keep it frost free e.g. -
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Tubular_Heaters/index.html
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks for the tips!