Forum home Problem solving

Please help identify this poop in my garden!?

Hi all, it started 2 weeks ago when I start to find small black poop randomly all over my garden lawn on the grass. I mean, it’s ALL over, everywhere and takes me an hour to scoop them all up to the bin each time! Then it happens all over again the next day or two. Can you please help me identify what animal is leaving these behind? I’ve only seen foxes and cats coming into the garden but nothing else. What kind of animal has so much poop?? I’m wondering if they’re from birds or badgers or hedgehogs? Thanks very much! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    edited November 2019
    Hello and welcome 😊 

That’s not poop in the ‘poop’ sense of the word  ... they’re wormcasts ... soil that had been through the digestive system of an earthworm.  Lots of wormcasts are evidence that your garden soil is in good condition with lots of organic matter. The worms also help with drainage so it’s positive all round. 😊 

Some gardeners even collect them and use them
    ad seed compost. 

https://www.simplegrowsoil.com/pages/ultimate-guide-to-worm-castings
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Oh really?? But some of them are on top of the grass? Thank you so much Dovefromabove, I’ve not been through so many poop pictures on the internet till now, wondering what kind of animal could have so much of it 😂 you’ve really helped!! Thanks!!!
  • Thanks very much AnniD 😆 that has solved the mystery indeed!!