Forum home Plants

Spring AND Summer Bulb Lasagne - too ambitious?

2»

• WillDB, thanks for listing the plants you used. It sounds like your lasagne worked, until the tulips went over at least, for Spring flowering bulbs.
    Lizzie27, I'm not sure I've enough tulip bulbs (30) to do the large pot and a smaller one as the pot I want to use is quite big, however, I can see how a smaller and bigger pot of the same type would look nice...I'll give that a thought. And yes, the squirrels are a menace in the garden so will devise something to stretch over the top. I bought a bag of labelled "horticultural grit" from B & Q to mix in with the compost but it's not as fine as the stuff I see them using on GW. It's more like pea shingle...the only bags I've seen for sale similar to the stuff GW uses is really expensive so if the cheaper stuff works fine. Do you layer any grit on the top? (Although the stuff I've bought might be a bit heavy for that.)
    And thank you for your input also, Fairygirl.
    Still prevaricating!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,143
    @lesleymardell- how about sketching a few little pix of the pot with the bulbs when they're in flower? Start off with a pic in March with some daffs for instance, then one in April showing the first lot dieing back and the next lot flowering, and so on.
    That might let you see the way they would overlap, and could make it easier to decide on how to do it   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,322
    I buy bags labelled “horticultural grit” (although admittedly not from B&Q - but I can’t see it would be that different).  I use it for mixing in with multi purpose compost when I plant bulbs in pots, but also as a mulch/covering on the top of the pots.  The bulbs push through it no problem in the spring, and it stops muddy splashback on the leaves when it rains.
  • Not sure I'm much of a sketcher, I'm afraid, Fairygirl!
    Thanks for your input Chicky, might help deter the pesky squirrels too!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,143
    You need chicken wire or sturdy netting to keep the squirrels off - grit won't stop 'em  ;)

I always like to top dress pots with gravel or grit. It means they're smart before anything pushes through, as well as the 'splash preventing' that chicky describes  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • shane.farrellshane.farrell Posts: 204
    I have tried the lasagne method this year for the first time and on some it worked well and some worked OK although on the less successful ones I definitely put in too many bulbs of too many species. I won't be doing it again though.
    One reason is that I have established that I much prefer the look of single varieties making a blaze of colour for a shorter period than the melee of lots of different types.  My recommendation would be put less bulbs in (possibly only two types - which could of course be a spring and a summer bulb - albeit taking into account the leaves) at most. What I am doing now is putting the bulbs into a large 10L pot or similar which fits the clay pot and I replace as one fades and another comes into play. E.g. my tulips are currently on the way out but Gladiolus, Nerines and Peacock Lily are beginning to emerge. It's just a matter of swapping the liners and the old one can be left in the 'graveyard' as the leaves die off. I then choose to fish out and dry for the winter or leave in a sheltered spot.
    I also use the same principal for Primula and Pansies over the autumn winter period and it
  • shane.farrellshane.farrell Posts: 204
    ps, my squirrels must be lightweights as gravel seems to work against them for now albeit I am very careful about leaving no clues (bulb detritus) anywhere.
  • FiddlingOnFiddlingOn Posts: 76
    I kept the pot covered with the metal mesh lid to the old fire pit which kept the squirrels off.  I settled for only 2 different typles of plants in the end - around 20 tulips of the same sort and wallflowers. As you've said Shane,  probably better than trying to get too much in there. Good idea to have a smaller pot you can take in and out as the display fades but I've not got anything big enough for this. Might work on my smaller pots though. Something to think about next time.
    I've now yanked them all out as they'd finished and put in bedding. Didn't change the compost so we'll see how they do with a liquid feed once a fortnight. Fingers crossed!